This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Questions After a Couple Months In

Started by Justin Kaplan, July 22, 2016 · 4 Replies · 202 Views

Justin Kaplan

I am doing foundation 1 and on Step 5 of almost all movements PE1 yet some PE2.  I could have tested out of some but wanted to start off as basic as possible and just roll with it.  Interesting how things are starting to already get tough.  A few questions to help me on this journey-

1) Deck Squats- While I believe I have good ankle dorsiflexion (can sit in deep squat easily), when doing these I either need to roll fast or grab my ankles when going slowly.  I am at Step 5 which is 4x9 and can complete all sets but again need to do the previously mentioned way.  Is this ok or should I step back?

2) Hinge Row- These are tough for me.  For the programmed 4x9 I am at 9,7,6,3 reps.  How should I proceed?  

I am currently doing the 4 day split.  

 

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Good questions Justin. Rolling fast in the deck squat is the way to go for now. That will change as you progress. I recommend avoiding grabbing your ankles. 

For hinge row, since you're dropping all the way from 9r to 3r over the sets, I recommend finding the step that you can complete with a consistent amount of reps and work back up from there.

Leonhard Krahé
37 minutes ago, Justin Kaplan said:

2) Hinge Row- These are tough for me.  For the programmed 4x9 I am at 9,7,6,3 reps.  How should I proceed?  

Like Everett suggested, drop back one step to 4x6 and make sure you have that one solid. Then work back up in smaller increments. i.e. when you have 6/6/6/6 solid, go for 7/7/7/7 the next week and master that - and so on.

Justin Kaplan

So how does it work if I am on multiple steps regarding the deload phase?

If I go "back a step" as suggested yet my rep scheme is 4x7 is this now step 4?

Everett Carroll

Keep deloading every 4th week.