This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Manna PE1 IM Question

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, July 20, 2016 · 7 Replies · 268 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

In doing the IM for PE1, I'm finding that simply bending forward causes some clicking and grinding in the inner hip (adductor) and the shoulder. So what did I try to do? Well, I limited the rotation of the upright arm that's supporting the dumbbell to the point where it's barely even rotating, yet that still caused clicking on my left shoulder (on some days it's my right). I currently use 5lbs and have elsewhere been working on zeroing in on my shoulder elevation. For the hips, I tried to not go as low (the odd thing with this is that in a pike or in an unweighted middle split, say for MSs I can lean forward substantially more). But nevertheless I still hear aome popping in my ineer adductor and a bit of sliding/grinding with the piriformis, even when i barely got to parallel with my torso. 

I'm trying to inquire about what else or what best to do to regress this movement to a point where it's noise-free so that I can then build back up with ROM and weight. Insights appreciated, because I'm not sure how else to approach this. I can upload a form check, though I'm not sure how much help it will be.

Mark Anderson

Daniel:

You've been around here a lot longer than I have, but I have experienced some of the same issues you mention.  Since I'm a bit older than the average bear doing GB work I tend to not worry about clicking without pain.  If I let the snap, crackle, and pops of everyday movement constrain my activity, I'd never get out of bed.  That said, if pain is involved, I listen...well, I try to listen.  I'm not trying to be flippant.  I know you already know this.

I have a couple of comments that address your question more directly.  I, too, find the MN/PE1 iM to highlight any kinks I didn't work out before I started the workout.  I have been using an 8 kg (~18 lb) kettlebell for these, or a 20 lb dumbbell if I am on travel.  I have found that if I go too light, my shoulder can over power the weight, thus losing the proper stacked position.  Maintaining the stacked position tends to cut down on shoulder clicks even with a fair amount of rotation.

My hips and SI joints can also produce pops during this iM.  Concentrating on a good hinge at the hips with straight legs helps reach the floor, but can generate more pops.  I have noted that my hips loosen up as the sets progress so that by the last 2-3 sets I get a better range of motion (touching the floor behind my feet) and the hips feel much "smoother." This indicates to me that I didn't limber/warm up well in these areas.  I will experiment with doing so and get back to you.

Finally, I am just moving on the MN/PE2+iM (today, in fact).  I plan to keep the previous iM in my warmup and gradually being rating the weight a little bit.  The MN/PE1 iM does good things for me through a variety of movement ranges similar what a kettlebell get up does.  For me, it's a keeper.

Mark

Cole Dano

I'm not sure it needs to be noise free as long as there is no pain associated with the movement.

if you are worried consider doing it without weight and perhaps using chair to support the movement while you work out were and why the noise is coming and if it's actually problematic.

This can be done in an exploratory manner just working on the movement looking for where the hip catches etc  

This isn't that different from yoga's triangle pose, and it's very common to hear a symphony of hips popping in beginner classes. Generally this resolves itself fairly quickly   

That said there are some no nos with this movement the biggest being to NOT pop your hip out of socket.

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah, I mean none of the noise causes pain, but being that I've over exerted myself in previous work. I've dialed it back and starting again, this time being much more cautious, patient, and mature with my training So, I'll be insightful about the 'noise' and whether or not it seems to cause tenderness or just my residual stiffness (which I feel like it might be). I'll report back after doing some exploring. 

Thanks for the responses.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Nevermind. I did some more digging in the forums. I found a post about how much weight to use on these -- said to be at least 10% of my bodyweight. Not sure on the exact measurement, but I'm certain that the 5lb. dumbbell I was using was falling far short of that percentage. Just tried this >im cold with a 17.5lb dumbbell and it was markedly 'easier' in the sense that neither my hips nor my shoulders were making the noises that are not to be desired. Going to proceed and work the >im with 17.5lbs during my workouts and see how that fares and what/if any progress comes of it. 

 

Cheers.

Mary Forman
Quote
On July 20, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Cole Dano said:

I'm not sure it needs to be noise free as long as there is no pain associated with the movement.

if you are worried consider doing it without weight and perhaps using chair to support the movement while you work out were and why the noise is coming and if it's actually problematic.

This can be done in an exploratory manner just working on the movement looking for where the hip catches etc  

This isn't that different from yoga's triangle pose, and it's very common to hear a symphony of hips popping in beginner classes. Generally this resolves itself fairly quickly   

That said there are some no nos with this movement the biggest being to NOT pop your hip out of socket.

 

 

Well I'll be! That explains what happened to me yesterday. Tuesday was my very first session. Yesterday I did my first SL/PE1, MN/PE1 and SLS/PE1. While doing the manna IM 3rd set and at maximal hip flexion, I felt something in the hip area slip medially which caused sharp pain. It immediately slipped back into place upon upright position.

i have done yoga for years and consider myself passably flexible. I also run. My hip capsule area seems sore today but all muscle testing shows preserved ROM. When I eventually recover, what tips do you have for avoiding this again?

Andrew Molina
On 7/23/2016 at 7:34 PM, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Nevermind. I did some more digging in the forums. I found a post about how much weight to use on these -- said to be at least 10% of my bodyweight. Not sure on the exact measurement, but I'm certain that the 5lb. dumbbell I was using was falling far short of that percentage. Just tried this >im cold with a 17.5lb dumbbell and it was markedly 'easier' in the sense that neither my hips nor my shoulders were making the noises that are not to be desired. Going to proceed and work the >im with 17.5lbs during my workouts and see how that fares and what/if any progress comes of it. 

 

Cheers.

Daniel, can you share the link/title to the post you found?

Cole Dano
On 29 July 2016 at 11:39 AM, Mary Forman said:

Well I'll be! That explains what happened to me yesterday. Tuesday was my very first session. Yesterday I did my first SL/PE1, MN/PE1 and SLS/PE1. While doing the manna IM 3rd set and at maximal hip flexion, I felt something in the hip area slip medially which caused sharp pain. It immediately slipped back into place upon upright position.

i have done yoga for years and consider myself passably flexible. I also run. My hip capsule area seems sore today but all muscle testing shows preserved ROM. When I eventually recover, what tips do you have for avoiding this again?

It's hard to say anything specific without seeing you do it. But the first general bit of advice would be to not go fully to you maximum until the muscles that actively take you there have had a chance to develop. 

Though this iM has many parallels to triangle pose in yoga, it's very commonly done in a rather passive manner even though that's not correct in yoga either. This iM will fix that done with care and patience. 

If the problem persists when you resume it, make sure to post a form check so we can see if there are any obvious errors we can help you correct.