This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

IMs as Daily Limber?

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, July 20, 2016 · 3 Replies · 239 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, my question is whether we can substitute out the integrated mobilities into our warm up instead of the daily limber. I know the intro articles mention the 21/15/9 protocol of earlier elements, as well as Coach mentioning elsewhere that 'off days' from the Stretch Series include some limbering, but I'm currently revisiting all PE1s and want some clarity. I find that my shoulder extension and internal hip rotation (namely my _______ piriformis) both need more attention. I was wondering if subbing out the daily limber for things I'm already working on wouldn't be a better idea? 

I am working back up to performing the three day split of Foundations. So I would likely focus one warm up on the elbows and shoulders (HBP/PE1>im), the spine (FL/PE1>im) the wrists (WRS#1-#4), and hips (sPL/PE1>im, SL/PE1>im, and SLS/PE1>im). With the other focusing on the ankles (2 Squat 2 Pike), the knees (SLS/PE1>im), hamstrings (MN/PE2>im only using my body, no added weights), and hips (SL/PE1>im, sPL/PE1>im). 

Since I use Pro+, I also include the hip flexion exercises, and the biceps stretches recommended, as well as the quadrupedal warmup. As I advance onto later progressions the ims I incorporate will change, or their volume will change, but I wanted some insights as to whether this makes sense? I'm a bit neurotic but continue to tinker with things until I find what works with the least amount of oversight and stick with that. So, I would likely start each F1 warm up with the Quadrupedal warm up then continue with either of the ims circuits I already mentioned for the upper body, and for the lower body, respectively. Thoughts? 

I don't want to add in the PEs because I want to focus on warming up and not tiring myself out before hitting the actual workout, so that's why I'm asking only about the integrated mobilities. 

Cheers.

Mark Anderson

Daniel:

Sorry, man, you get to here from me again.  I caught your posts during lunch hour and responded to both this one and the MN/PE1 iM topic.

I'm interested to hear the responses to this, too.  My current limber consistent of a mutant step child of Pavel's Superjoints, Engum's Flexible Steel, and the F1 PE1 iMs.  I often use an Original Strength (Anderson and Neupert) reset for limber/warmup.  I have toyed with the idea of using the quadrupedal locomotions from T1 as part of the limber/warm up.  [Not sure if it is OK to mention other programs here, but wanted to include attribution if so and others were interested.]

I gather from your post that you went through the Fundamentals series and are asking about substituting F1 iMs for some of those movements/holds.  I started here before the Fundamentals series came out, but am interested in its utility for designing a limbering routine.  Comments would be welcome.

I'm also curious about the 21/15/9 warmup protocol using previously mastered PEs.  Using a 15 rep template for this protocol, I interpret it to mean 140%/100%/60% for other templates.  I'm just now moving to PE2 on some of the elements.  Since I have yet to build up significant work capacity, the 60% for a warmup, coupled with a set of accompanying iM seems about right.

Interested to here what other have to say in response to your post.

Mark

Jon Douglas

Sure, why wouldn't you? I put previously mastered ims and some stuff where my mobility is way in front of my strength, such as in bridging, to make my own warmup limber a combination of stretching and ROM drills to cover every basic movement plane. As an example, i walk into the gym and immediately start arm circles forward, back, german, side bends, torso twists with a bounce, hip circles before I get onto the matt for wrist stretches and on from there. 

The big things to be aware of are your level of exertion (no warmup heroes please!) and that you aren't covering the same grouns within it, and wasting time. As always, work to open up the ROM in warmup and to extend it after training :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Certainly not trying to be a warm up hero, which is why I wanted to inquire about substituting things out. I don't want the warm up to be any longer than 15 minutes which it isn't currently. So, I'm just playing around with the warm-up until I have that nailed down.