This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training F1 with wrist tendonitis - not sure what to do

Started by Benjamin Herzog, July 20, 2016 · 3 Replies · 154 Views

Benjamin Herzog

Hi Guys

 

I've been following the F1 + Handstand for about 2 months now and I am enjoying it thoroughly. A year ago I had a really bad case of wrist tendonitis which had me off training for at least 2 months. Recently my wrist has started showing some signs of tendonitis again and I am really scared it will come back. Especially while doing wrist taxing excercises like HBP/PE2 and RC/PE1 (both on step 9). I need to add that I usually go rock climbing 1-2 a week which is also pretty demanding in terms of grip strength. What should I do? Should I just continue and skip the HBP and RC elements for the time being (click "not attempted" in the workout scheduler) or should I put the whole F1 on hold until it gets better?

 

Thanks for the input.

Ben

Cole Dano

You can just put the exercises that give you trouble on hold.

The wrist stretches and various wrist strength exercises can also help you'd just scale them so you can do more volume say doing 10r sets. 

Tanya Hill

I agree with Cole, you never wanna train through pain. 

Give your wrist some pampering and ice it for about 10 minutes after your workouts. The wrist exercises are great to bring blood flow to the wrist and help it heal faster, just go light and pain free. 

 

 

Everett Carroll

I've been climbing longer than I've been doing GST and training pain free is the way to go. Especially for the first couple of years, if you're also climbing, be really sensitive to your joints. In hindsight, every year I've trained GST, my body has been able to handle about an extra day of quality climbing each week. 

Before GST, my mindset was limited to the next day on my project instead of years in advance. Keep up the steady, patient work, Benjamin, and the rewards will trickle in.