Handstand Push Ups

Started by Sternford, December 6, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,628 Views

Sternford

Currently, I'm working on getting a full ROM handstand push up. Currently, I can push up with my hands elevated about 4 inches off the ground. However, when I move to the parallets, I can't push up from the same distance below them. Is the technique different? Should I possibly face the wall if I'm using that to assist me?

AlexX

I can do full range of motion hstpush ups on parallets however whenever I go to do them on the chairs it is a lot easier (with the same range of motion) I can usually get a good 2-4 more reps. I would say just keep practicing and you will get it but keep in mind that parallets might be slightly harder (for whatever reason).

Sternford

I was doing them wrong anyway (Hands wider then shoulder width) so now I'm starting at the beginning again.

Joshua Naterman

I would guess that because of the change in shoulder angle you get less help from the upper back on paralletes, but I'm not quite sure. I don't own an EMG machine :P But seriously, I think that's a big part of it.

Gregor
slizzardman said:
I would guess that because of the change in shoulder angle you get less help from the upper back on paralletes, but I'm not quite sure. I don't own an EMG machine :P But seriously, I think that's a big part of it.

Longer/bigger ROM for triceps...