Hi.
For a lot of reasons I had to stop the workout for almost 8 months, so I am back at the beggining. I really lost a lot of strenght. I still understand the mechanics of the movement and can adjust it correctly, but I have one doubt.
To make sure the tecnique is correct, in some exercicies I have to rest a 4 or 5 seconds before completing the set. But I can finish it correctly. I just don't have the strenght to completly follow it to the end. How should I consider the set? If in 9 push ups, I can only do 6 in a row, and after some rest I can do the 9. How should I mark it? As 6 or as 9 and successufly done?
(sorry about the english, I am Portuguese, so I may have a lot of mistakes in the writting)
Joana
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Rest between reps. Can it be done?
Started by Joana Teixeira, July 19, 2016 · 7 Replies · 334 Views
Hi Joana,
Your English is very good, don't worry ![]()
For this example, report it as 6. It can still be a good idea to complete the rest of the reps even with a slight pause as this will build more volume and help you get those extra reps; just make sure that next time you push for 7 reps ![]()
If the goal for the workout is 9, you did not complete that set. The extra time and effort to build the reps will pay off as you progress.
Thank you :)))
I am not sure I can correct the one I already did, but I will do it as you say from now on. And make sure to improve for the next one.
Thanks
Hello Jon,
I have a similar problem, I'm just asking to be completely sure. I might have progressed in the wrong way, because I gave priority to the amount of reps and correct form and not to whether I can do them without stopping. This concerns the HBP/PE2 (push-ups).
What happens now is that I consider myself to be at step 9, which means that I have to do 5x15r. I manage to complete all reps, but a typical set looks like this:
I start to do the reps, then around rep 9, I have to take a brief rest, usually between 2-5 seconds, and then I continue, I fail again at around rep 12, then pause for 2-5 secs and then complete the set. This happens in every set of the 5. At the end I have completed all reps with correct form, but not without stopping.
What would you advise me to do? Should I count the sets as 5x9r (step 6) and try to go for step 7 (4x12r)? Or should I just keep doing this (all 75 reps) until I can do every set without the pauses/rest ?
Thank you in advance.
Hi Niko
This has been answered already in 'when to stop a set' stickied forum. No rest pause sets.
If you've mastered the 5 x 9r cycle but can't make 4 x 12r, then make a mini micro cycle e.g go for 4 x 10r, then next week perhaps 4 x 12r & then 5 x 12r. Basically stick with cycling but gradually increase the reps. I'm with you here also......previously when I thought I'd mastered this I had too much rest in between. I'm now struggling with 4 x 12r........so will be making my own micro cycles also!
Thanks for your advice Paul Gray :)))))
Hi Niko, I have found success after being stuck on HB/PE2 for a long time (and trying different strategies) by adding one (or two) extra sets at the end to get the total volume I needed for mastery. So all sets are unbroken (no pauses). For example 5x12 + 1x9 + 1x6 (75 total reps). And then next time try to do better. For example 5x12 + 1x10 + 1x5. Hope this helps.
Excellent advice, Koenraad, thank you.