This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tempo question for gaining strength in new movement

Started by Jeremy Aldridge, July 19, 2016 · 3 Replies · 110 Views

Jeremy Aldridge

I am currently on 5 x 2  HBP/PE3 and was wondering everyone's thoughts on tempo. I know I am trying to maximize volume and blood flow, but at such an early stage of failure on an element, is it okay to take a little longer in between my sets of two so I have the strength to fully complete the rep with good form? My plan is to stay at this set-rep scheme until I can complete all sets with the Rx'd tempo. I am not taking that long of a break, just enough to shake it out, for about 20-30 seconds or so instead of just jumping right into the next set.  

Alessandro Mainente

Ideally with the mobility as an active rest you should have 1 minute of total rest. it is enough. I suggest to post your form before moving on.

Jeremy Aldridge

@Alessandro Mainente Since you have helped me correct my form I have started over on this movement and notice that I am in need of more straight arm and back strength. Actually the IM on this movement is usually pretty taxing on my back and rear delts by the third set. So the last two sets seemed pretty hindered so I actually took a bit longer in between. Probably not more than a minute maybe a minute 15 seconds. In your opinion, if form is not perfect for each set of 2 reps would you continue to repeat that step until it is a solid 5 sets of 2?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes of course.