In attempting to be precise, I'd like to get a recommendation on the distance from the wall position of the feet on the Oblique Stretching. In 1. Explore, 8 inches is mentioned & in 2. Common Issues, 1½ feet (viz. 18 inches) is mentioned. I understand both are guidelines; however, is there a better position if one is sufficiently flexible to put both hands on the wall, i.e., is shortening or lengthening the distance over time the objective (aside from proper trunk rotation, with shoulder & hip counter-pressure)?
Also, for the Oblique Strengthening, I understand the keeping the shoulder on the floor takes precedence over getting the knee to the floor while rotating; however, how important is it to keep both knees together while rotating? Keep my feet together is easy, but the knees come apart farther into the stretch.
Otherwise, I'd like to give props to Tim Ferriss, whose podcast sent me here. I appreciate Coach Sommer in the podcast drawing my attention to strengthening connective tissue (ligaments & tendons) being as important as muscles. I'd like to avoid common injuries while working on strength.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Day 8 Rotation of the Torso Clarification
Started by Steve Chastain, July 18, 2016 · 1 Replies · 95 Views
Great questions Steve. I always like hearing how Coach changed the way you view your connective tissue because I had the same revelation when I first listened to him. I hope these answer your questions:
-If you can maintain proper form, feet closer to the wall will provide a deeper stretch.
-Keep working towards keeping your knees together, because it is important, and keeping more tension throughout your whole leg should help. You have the right idea, focusing more on the rotation while keeping the shoulders down.