This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How Long should I hold the stretches for?

Started by Jonathan Reeves 178362, July 18, 2016 · 7 Replies · 967 Views

Jonathan Reeves 178362

Hi all, I was wondering how long and how often I should be holding my static stretches for?. I noticed in the daily limber video that they only hold each position for a few seconds. However I have been told that I should hold a stretch for 30 secs or up to 2 mins, is this correct? Also last night I was practicing my "straight leg windmills" and I felt a slight strain in my hamstring. Has anyone else experienced this before? 

Alessandro Mainente

Usually at least 45'', bu It could depends about the poses, the numbers of muscles stretched and if it is an isolation pose or a multi joint pose.i think that stretch course has a good guideline for all the poses.

Coach Sommer

Limbering and stretching are two completely different things.  Limber in the beginning of a workout and stretch at the end.  Your scheduling and training should reflect this.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ashe Higgs

are the daily limbering videos part of the "online classes"?

Alessandro Mainente

The online classes provide certain warm up and preparation with light mobility and stretching. for a deep immersion into stretching your should look for stretch series.

Ashe Higgs
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The online classes provide certain warm up and preparation with light mobility and stretching. for a deep immersion into stretching your should look for stretch series.

Yes sir.  I have the stretch series.  This was the first I had heard of "daily limbering", so I would like to know more.  I have a series of warmups that I use currently before my martial arts training, but more and more, I prefer to make sure I align all of my training with GST.

Leonhard Krahé

I think they refer to Fundamentals, which, if I understand correctly, provides a daily limbering routine.

Jon Douglas

That's correct, the daily limber is amongst the lessons in Fundamentals :)