This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warm up and extra mobility work

Started by Jesse Kim, July 18, 2016 · 5 Replies · 209 Views

Jesse Kim

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding the title above. I am sorry if the questions asked were already answered before. Here goes:

1) Those who are in later elements of the foundation can use previos PE's/SE's as a warm up for the harder variations, but because I'm in the beginning stages of the foundation series (meaning I am in PE1/im for all the skills), how do I exactly "warm-up" for the workout? 

2) Because my mobility can use a lot of improvement, is it okay to practice the mobility drills from PE1's of Foundation almost everyday? If not, what is the limit?

3) Because jefferson curls and shoulder dislocates are later in the series, is it safe to assume that I shouldn't start even light with these, despite them being extremely useful? If so, what are some other mobility drills that I can use besides the im's that can help with my mobility?

Any advice is much appreciated. 

Alessandro Mainente

1) the starting elements are not so hard on the joints, after a general warm up you can emulate the push and pull exercise with an elastic bands or move directly into the exercise

2)If the early stage focus on performing them correctly during the training session. more mobility could be represented by the stretch courses.

3)you can evaluate to do dislocate with a very light elastic band and perform jefferson curl actively without using weight. again for shoulders the thoracic stretch course is very very suggested.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Great questions. Great answers. Thanks.

Jesse Kim
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

1) the starting elements are not so hard on the joints, after a general warm up you can emulate the push and pull exercise with an elastic bands or move directly into the exercise

2)If the early stage focus on performing them correctly during the training session. more mobility could be represented by the stretch courses.

3)you can evaluate to do dislocate with a very light elastic band and perform jefferson curl actively without using weight. again for shoulders the thoracic stretch course is very very suggested.

Thank you Alessandro. Does the stretch courses also include specifics for hip mobility as well? Also, can I practice wall extensions too?

Alessandro Mainente

They cover A LOT the hips mobility, really a lot. Shoulders extension on the wall if you are far from a decent floor bridge are practically impossible to be performed correctly. with poor bridge development you could do 1/10 of the range of motion.

stretch first. active mobility after.

Jon Douglas

I want to emphasise Ale's point on shoulder extensions. These really can cause problems if they are performed with inhibited shoulders, especially if you try to force the movement. Not a basic mobility element :)