Climbing Rope - which material and diameter?

Started by Kevin Easton, July 18, 2016 · 6 Replies · 3,495 Views

Cole Dano

36mm rope is standard here that's about 1.5 inch. Manila or synthetic manila. 

I like the synthetic for home use since it doesn't shed but still has good grip. All other types of synthetic are pretty slippery and I find them unpleasant to use.  

Petri Widsten
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 2:05 PM, Cole Dano said:

I like the synthetic for home use since it doesn't shed but still has good grip. All other types of synthetic are pretty slippery and I find them unpleasant to use.  

Yep, got one of those at my gym. I always have to wash my hands with soap before RCs to get any sort of grip. That grease layer on your hands has to come off.

Kevin Easton

If I wanted to secure a climbing rope in the ceiling of my garage how would I safely do this?

 

I'd need to secure it to the roof trusses

Cole Dano

The two main options are to use a steel rope bracket which is attached to the rope with bolts, or making an eye loop at the end of the rope. There are YouTube videos on how to do this. Many online stores that sell rope will also sell the bracket or offer an finishing service and will do the ends for you. 

Phil Austin

What's the minimum height recommended for training?

Cole Dano

There isn't one really, it just depends on how high the ceiling you are mounting it to is.