This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Looking to the long term... GST & Oly

Started by Daniel Inman, July 17, 2016 · 1 Replies · 199 Views

Daniel Inman
Disclaimers: I am still on F1/H1 and SS. I follow a Phil Maffetone approach to running (below a hr of 180 -age for the bulk of my running) and do 1 hard run a week(2-3 miles). Constantly pushing myself to wait to take up Oly lifting till completion of F2 like coach suggests. Wanting to become the best expression of my genes and capabilities on the timeline my body requires. 
 
I have read through most of what I can find on the subject of GST paired with Oly lifting. I know Orench, Robb and several others do a hybrid of the two and I would be interested how Orench approaches this since coach is his guide. I have read that coach has a strength gain bias until power becomes a more important focus and for most asking that question the answer is probably to get back to our foundations.  There is some info out there and it seems to be both conflicting and convincing.
 
I am pushing my self to look at the long term approach and trust the wisdom of coach rather than some accumulated opinions of modest athletes online. 
 
That being said I have heard coach talk with Robb Wolf about a press progression that took 70% of max and slowly loading for a 12 week period. I have also heard him doing a 3 month period of the same 135lb deadlift (100lb athlete)  overload->underload and then increasing after the lift is inconsequential. Wondering when and why he would take these paths with an athlete and the rest of us.
 
I probably should just get back to work and talk to coach at a seminar after I have completed F4,R1,M1 and H2. However, I like to look ahead to know the path I have before me. I assume since coach has mentioned several times that he thinks the sweet spot(I assume this means the best functional and powerful humans we can produce outside olympic athletes) is a balance of GST and Oly. Also, that he will release that info along with others(M3, R4 and Hungarian) as the individual proves competency.
 
I wouldn’t surprised if Coach just answered with a “Yes” to all of this.
 
Thank you in advance
 
Daniel Inman
Jon Douglas

We have had some pretty in-depth discussions on combining GST and weightlifting in the F3 and F4 forums, as the SLS progressions seem to be the one most people complete first :) Coach has gone into some depth on lower body prep and this incorporation of deadlifts with both Heath and Allan. This stuff is very accessible provided you have done your homework.

Seminars are a lot like Foundation training itself; they will primarilyfollow the core schedule- level one seminar means level one work. However, playtime is playtime and you'll usually see some more advanced stuff thrown around. Coach can easily coach GST at a level far above what most of us here are capable of, but there is no higher level work without a strong base and the basics benefit the most from expert coaching, so dedicated time on intermediate and advanced work must wait for higher level seminars :)

Pretty much all exercises become more accessible, more productive, and safer with the base of conditioning, joint prep and body mechanics that GST develops. Basic strength builds that broad base; if you wish to specialise in a particular direction to stack it higher is your call :)