Ab Wheel

Started by Kevin Easton, July 17, 2016 · 11 Replies · 6,671 Views

Kevin Easton

$T2eC16N,!ycFIdBZkj-QBSYTuFB23w~~_32.JPG

Do any of you guys incorporate an ab wheel into your training?

 

Mark Schoenhard

Supine shoulder extensions.

Douglas Wadle

I do at certain times of the year for sport-specific training for cross country skiing.  I find it a nice periodic change of pace as well.  However, be cautious, as it can be hard on your back and result in muscle strains of the abs if you do not have good strength in your front lever and manna progressions first.  Just like with so many exercises, the basics are the most important, and only after those are mastered is it appropriate to look at other things that might fit into your specific goals. 

Alessandro Mainente

We are used to perform some exercise along the Handstand 1 course that greatly emulate the ab-wheel work. it is a good toll but not necessary.

Kevin Easton

My core strength is lagging behind and I thought maybe adding a couple sets at the end of my foundations workout might have some benefits.  

 

Alessandro Mainente

Without proper core strength and shoulders flexibility the ab.wheel is more counterproductive than what you think.

Oussama KHELLADI

i used to train with it and i gotta say i improved from knee to full body extension by other core excercices such body levers  i think its a good exercice for full body maintenance to break the routine(or just for fun) but not an assisting one F7 is enough 

Jon Douglas
19 hours ago, Mark Schoenhard said:

Supine shoulder extensions.

Oh, I like that :)

Coach Sommer

As long as proper PPT is maintained at all times, ab wheels are a fine piece of equipment.  

If proper PPT is not maintained, they are quite dangerous.  

As a side note, if someone does not know what PPT is; they are not ready for ab wheel work. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kevin Easton

I used to do the ab wheel all the time for max reps.  I didn't know what PPT was and I could really feel it in my lower back (as well as my abs). 

Once I started Foundations and learned about PPT I tried the ab wheel a couple times just to play around with the wheel with added PPT. 

Holy crap it was hard.

I didn't really stick with it because I wanted to follow as closely as possible to Foundations.  However my core can use a little bit of catching up so I was thinking about adding 1 set at the very end of F7.  Slow reps, full ROM, and really focusing on PPT.

 

John Kiggundu
On 7/19/2016 at 10:23 AM, Kevin Easton said:

I used to do the ab wheel all the time for max reps.  I didn't know what PPT was and I could really feel it in my lower back (as well as my abs). 

Once I started Foundations and learned about PPT I tried the ab wheel a couple times just to play around with the wheel with added PPT. 

Holy crap it was hard.

I didn't really stick with it because I wanted to follow as closely as possible to Foundations.  However my core can use a little bit of catching up so I was thinking about adding 1 set at the very end of F7.  Slow reps, full ROM, and really focusing on PPT.

 

Kevin,

If you're patient enough the Handstand 1 course does have an iM that's pretty similar to an ab-wheel rollout. But it's in the very last stages of H1.

Tanya Hill

Nothing has strengthened my core like GymnasticBodies. Just wait until you get into hanging leg raises Kevin!