This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapula movement/position in different elements

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, July 15, 2016 · 6 Replies · 136 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, I have looked through the individual videos explaining notes on form and specific regression for each element. It has been especially helpful for my lagging shoulder extension flexibility: in how to move, where to place the arms, and what to feel for so as to not push it too much. My issue is that in the later elements, namely those where the arms are overhead (everything after the trap stretch) I have a hard time figuring out whether I should have my shoulders in protraction or retraction and additionally, because of my lacking shoulder extension (tight pecs, biceps, etc.) I end up feeling sore in a bad way after some of the stretches.

To be specific, the elevated cat, inverted cat, bungee pulls, and curls, and then the three Elevated Thoracic Bridge exercises. Should I be in scapular protraction? Retraction? Does it vary exercise to exercise? Does it vary within each exercise? Some further pointers to look for? I know it's a lot I'm asking for. Hell, even insights into one exercise would be great. 

Yes, I dial it back, and yes I try to go easy when I know how. My issue is I'm not exactly sure how best to "go easy" so that I can simultaneously increase ROM while not injuring/irritating tight areas of my upper body in the process. For some time the issue was predominantly my shoulder extension and for those first few specific stretches, I have nailed it down the form and it's not a problem, but for the later exercises that require more strength, I'm not sure how best to go about it. Some insights would be appreciated.

 

Thanks in advance.

Danny

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

I really like the way you're thinking about this. It shows maturity in your training to not want to push through unnessecary pain for more immidiate results. When it comes to dialing back the stretch courses, consider what Coach Sommer says in the follow along videos that you should never be pushing beyond moderate discomfort. The progress is far slower with the stretch courses so find the modifications that prevent you from feeling anything more than that. Stretching is more a matter of showing up consistently.

The scapular position that you should be most focused on in the movements you mentioned is elevation, which will improve as your shoulder flexion improves. Here is another thread that may answer more of your questions:

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Great. Thanks! Yeah, I've been doing GB since 2014 and initially I was trying to grind through and impinged my shoulder. After Pro+ came out I've dialed it back and seen a lot better progress. 

 

I guess, some of my concern is that I'm not always certain what position is or what about my position is compromising my form and causing discomfort (is it the elbows? the shoulders? my spine? etc) I, of course, will continue to work on dialing it back and am going to give that forum thread a look-through to try and narrow in on how better to manage my lacking flexibility in the meantime (until it improves and my ROM gets better). 

 

Thanks @Everett Carroll

Everett Carroll

Not a problem, Daniel. You can always post a video to have us check out a movement you're unsure of. 

Ryan Bailey
7 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

The scapular position that you should be most focused on in the movements you mentioned is elevation, which will improve as your shoulder flexion improves

Nice Everett. Way to break it down so we can understand. I've been perseverating on elevation and protraction on various dead hanging with ribs down stretches, beginning pHS holds, and other shoulder flexion stretches this week. Thanks for the insight...

And thanks Danny-boy for getting back on your game lately!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Well. That went much better!

Focusing on elevation really helped me to gain ROM in certain movements and a stretch with no noticeable pain/discomfort in others  I realized that doing any of the three elevated bridge progressions from the ground was also compromising my shoulder flexion and lent itself to impingement (because, basically I was inadvertently forcing the ROM since I am weaker in those positions and was trying to power through, making them a strength and not a stretching movement). Upon noticing a little tenderness after the bridge pushups, I switched to doing the hip taps standing upright and facing away from the wall with a lean (as is shown in the regression). This felt much better and elevating also helped. Following up with the bridge wall walks while really trying to push the elevation and not the flexion made them surprisingly easier, too; and this helped further alleviate the tenderness from the first two sets of elevated bridge work I had done on the floor. 

I also reduced the weight I had been using for the prone band curls and that helped too (for the same reason the elevated bridge work was hurting me, so, too, was this exercise when done with too much weight).

The stretches will take some time, but I, at least, know now how to approach them and to work on them. 

So, thanks for clarifying this @Everett Carroll.

Everett Carroll

Great to hear!