This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE4+iM Form check

Started by James Koppel, July 15, 2016 · 20 Replies · 169 Views

James Koppel

Mainly interested in the iM. I think my 4th rep is an example of nailing it, but you tell me.

 

While I'm at it, I'll also post my strength element. If I understand correctly, I need to focus on keeping my shin parallel, but anything else?

 

 

 

 

 

Luke Searra

SLS/PE4>iM

Hi James, thank you for submitting your video. I would like you to get rid of the shirt so I can see exactly what your back and hips are doing. With your shirt on its a little difficult to tell but it looks like you migt be arching your back on the way down even though I can youre making a concerted effort to maintain PPT (posterioir pelvic tilt) while you descend. I would also like to see you go lower each rep for sure.

James Koppel

I'd like to get rid of my shirt too. I don't think the Gold's Gym staff would be happy though. They've already forced me to put on Vibrams when I'm outside the stretching area. 

 

Do you think I'm arching on rep #4 as well?

Luke Searra

SLS/PE4

Hello again James,

Great effort, well done. I would like to see more control on the way to floor and as you come up do your best to not let your toe leave the ground last. Also I would like you to maintain greater full body tension and bring the knee backward towards about inline with your other ankle. Lets give a try and resubmit your next videos for me to take a look at.

Keep up the good work.

Luke Searra

SLS/PE4>iM

Yes James your 4th rep looked the most organized. Golds Gym: use a rash guard for filming or with this particular exercise feel free to film at home.

see you soon

 

James Koppel

Alright, here's an update on the strength element.

I'm focusing really hard on not letting the toes be the last to leave the ground.....and it's not working. Help.

 

 

Luke Searra

Hi James, wonderful progress. The movement needs to be under control 100% of the time - meaning the last 15cm does not flop into the floor, it needs to be controlled until you gently touch the floor. As far as the foot leaving last - as a soft cue, just try lifting the toe first before you stand. Very good job.

Matic Balantic

I would also suggest putting your knee a bit more back to be in line with your body and when you go down the knee lands where your heel of the other leg is. That way if you keep at least 90° angle, you will be fine :) 

Luke Searra

James as additional correction I would like you to do the speed skater squat with your knee touching the floor in line with your ankle. So lets reset your starting position with one knee up to be knee next to knee. (please watch Wesleys wonderful explanation and pay close attention to the POP ((points of performance)), of the moevemrnt). Lets restart the mechanics from zero.

James Koppel
Quote

when you go down the knee lands where your heel of the other leg is

 

Uhhh......how is that different from what's in the video?

 

Luke, I don't understand your suggestion. Could you rephrase?

Luke Searra

With pleasure James, at the moment in the bottom of the squat your knee is shooting forward instead of finishing next to your ankle. A better way to visualize what I am saying is to the do the squat on a straight line and try not to let your knee shoot forward of the line in the bottom of the squat. Can you understand this? If not  please let me know and I will draw a diagram

James Koppel

I saw that happening in the first two reps, but not the rest. Is what you're describing different from what's happening in the later reps?

Luke Searra

Hello James, my job as a forum coach is to help you become as consistent and methodical throughout all reps and movement from start to finish. Ideally all reps should be the same.

James Koppel

I got that. Should I be aiming for something like what I did in reps 3-5, or something different?

Luke Searra

Yes! Exactly like reps 3-5 under control!!!

James Koppel

Alright, how's this:

 

 

 

James Koppel

And here's my iM.

 

@Luke Searra

 

 

James Koppel

Poke @Luke Searra . Feedback really appreciated

Luke Searra

SLS/PE4 and your iM .... soooo much better control !!! now you are getting it James! Apply the same thinking to the rest of your GST moevements and youll fly.

 

Regards,

Luke @James Koppel

 

James Koppel

Thanks @Luke Searra. I'm wondering how for the strength element my form is much less upright than in the video. Is there something I should fix?

Luke Searra

Make no mistake everything is HUGELY improved James. Just try keeping your chest upright.