Transferable Upper Body Strength

Started by Alex Chaney, July 14, 2016 · 5 Replies · 3,749 Views

Alex Chaney

What muscle(s) or maybe proficiency in certain movements are the best predictors in overall upper body strength?

Alessandro Mainente

I would say rope climbing and press to handstand.

Everett Carroll

I completely agree with Alessandro. The research I have seen shows that forearm strength is the best indicator of overall strength and Coach Sommer has produced plenty of evidence supporting press handstands as a great precursor and indicator of overall strength and athleticism.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

1. Hollow Body Press (For those strong enough: Wide L-sit muscle up to press hand stand)

2. Handstand on carpet.
 

 

Leo Trinidad

I agree with Alessandro on Rope Climb and Press Handstands but I would add Handstands too. 
Highest carryover transferable upper body strength is definitely Rope Climb B-)

waler white
On 9/18/2016 at 6:35 AM, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

1. Hollow Body Press (For those strong enough: Wide L-sit muscle up to press hand stand)

2. 50-100 meter, "Wind sprint," dash with a running start. 

3. Handstand on carpet.
 

 

2 OP said upper body strength. Running speed has little to nothing to do with upper body strength.