This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question regarding programming

Started by Marcus Rydén, July 14, 2016 · 4 Replies · 133 Views

Marcus Rydén

So I just started Foundation One, and one thing stood out to me. I've done some weight training in the past, and whenever I have done so it has been important for me to maintain a balance between horizontal push/pull and vertical push/pull. The concern I have especially regards the bent arm work. It seems to me that, since I will only be doing one exercise per three months (for example rows and pushups) for pushing and pulling respectively, this will create an imbalance, or not involve all my planes. And while I understand that these exercises will come later, if I only do one at a time, I will lose any progress I made in the last progression (and in that related plane) as I work the new one. It says in the introduction that I should add a previous exercise as a warm-up, but it doesn't specify which warmup exercise should go with which main exercise. It seems very arbitrary, and not as if this point has been taken into account.

 

Thoughts?

Jon Douglas

Hi Marcus,

Warmups and the elements to be included in them are given a degree of freedom. Rule of thumb for the bent arm exercises is one exercise from each plane as a warmup; doesn't really matter which, some people like to cycle, some like to stick with the last one, some have a preferred middle one. Personally I like high rep pseudo planche pushups and Russian dips, before I go onto vertical pressing. Later elements, f3 onwards, will involve multi-plane pressing and pulling and so will render this more or less null. Hinge rows are basically scaled-down FL pulls, so we are covering a fair bit of ground from the get go.

Further, as per the introductions, you are not necessarily following one exercise for 12 weeks. You may, if you are strong and mobile as demonstrated by completing mastery of an element, move on to the next one up. Or you may only need between 4 and 8 weeks on it.

Alessandro has posted a few times on designing and tweaking warmups, and I've posted a few times my implementation of the principles from Ale, Coach and others :)

Marcus Rydén

Thank you, Jon, for the quick response :) I'm new on the forum, and I'm guessing that if I take some time to look around, many of the questions I have will be answered incidentally.

Jon Douglas

There's a fair bit of information here, its true :) Welcome aboard

Luke Searra

Welcome aboard Marcus