This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SE14 Video form check, is it really legal to be this tight?

Started by Patriq Hansson, July 13, 2016 · 13 Replies · 582 Views

Patriq Hansson

 

I'm having scaling issues with just about every element in the stretching series :D but I few element are more difficult to scale than others. 
This one for example, where you're supposed to get the shoulder down towards, and in front of your leg. 
I'm using a strap, and sitting up on a stretch block to be able to even lean forward / sideways at all. Not sure the strap is doing anything for me though, since I get in such an awkward position when trying to use it over my head. 

Do you have any other suggestions for scaling this SE? 

It can't be healthy being this inflexible!

Patrick Rentz

Hey, I'm with you, man. We just have to keep at it. Like they say, it took a lot of neglect to get this tight, so it's gonna take a lot of time to get back to where we need to be.

Though I can't help but laugh when the instructions say "try to bring your chest to the floor." LOL. Let's start with "try to sit in this position with straight legs."

Ryan Bailey

Perfectly legal in the United States but I don't think it is legal in Sweden. :lol:

I usually elevate the butt much higher on really tight elements. Maybe modified MN PE1 iM for this?

 

Luke Searra

Patriq good effort with the scaling. You're absolutely headed in the right direction, just keep being persistent and consistent following Stretch, and you will get results. Patience and consistency are key.

Wesley Tan

Yep as Luke says, patience and consistency!

I wouldn't bother with the strap over head for now and if was up to me, being this tight would definitely be illegal :D

The main thing you have to focus on in all the seated straddle work is getting the spine upright and straight. You really have to use your quads and hip flexors for this. ENGAGE YOUR LEGS and maybe use another block to sit upon. 

Jason DeFranco

Just started the stretch series last week, so good to see I'm not the only one with terrible flexibility!!! This is exactly how I looked today!!

I see this was posted a couple of months ago, how is your progress??

Is there hope or am I doomed to a life of inflexibility??

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jason, IF I can do a bridge, everyone can do a bridge, same thing for middle split and front split. i was one of the most tight people in the world

Jason DeFranco

Great to hear it is possible! How long did it take you to achieve these movements once you started training consistently?

Alessandro Mainente

Years, I began bridge work back in 2012 but my personal shoulder condition was horrible because I trained by myself for at least 2 years without any type of mobility. with 10 years of soccer behind me, frozen hips capsule, frozen adductor and super tight hips flexor.

John Kiggundu
On July 13, 2016 at 10:18 AM, Patriq Hansson said:

 

I'm having scaling issues with just about every element in the stretching series :D but I few element are more difficult to scale than others. 
This one for example, where you're supposed to get the shoulder down towards, and in front of your leg. 
I'm using a strap, and sitting up on a stretch block to be able to even lean forward / sideways at all. Not sure the strap is doing anything for me though, since I get in such an awkward position when trying to use it over my head. 

Do you have any other suggestions for scaling this SE? 

It can't be healthy being this inflexible!

Taking this video was the best gift that you could have given yourself, because one day you're going to be so limber that people will suggest you're like that because you were born "naturally flexible."

So you'll be able to show them this as evidence that you got there by hard work. I'd say in about 30-40 weeks, probably less, you'll be able to do it from the floor no problem, so long as you stay with it each week and don't force any issues that may lead to injury.

MATTHEW LOBACZ

I'm right there with you man. Tried the middle splits video yesterday for the first time and I couldn't believe how inflexible I am. Didn't know about all the technique tip videos with scaled versions so going to work through those next time. Keep at it! We'll get there someday.

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi, Thank you very much for posting the legal video. I was a bit discouraged when I couldn't figure out how to do the alternating squats for the 1st exercise. It's comforting to know you are all suffering with me.

I've just started the stretch series and wonder if there are videos that show the modifications? For the alternating squat Coach mentions using a block. I thought that was a great idea and sat on one while my legs & upper body did their best to copy what I saw on screen. Not sure if that was the correct use of the block. Maybe today for the thoracic stretch series I'll use the block to bury my face in and cry.

Does the stretch series operate the same as foundation? Meaning will the stretch video change each week, or is it static? 

Thank you,

Kathy

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kathy, nope , stretch must be equally intense to produce results. and there is a minimum of stretch of certain muscles group and their tissue in order to be effective. 

Leigh Kettle

Hey man dont beat yourself up about this . I read on another post that someone mentioned there aren't enough blocks in the Western Hemisphere to sit on to be able to sit upright with apt.... Haha, this is me also. In a very similar position but I'm looking ahead , a long way ahead granted but we will get there with consistency man . Good luck to you