This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE1--other alternatives?

Started by Joel Morgan, July 13, 2016 · 7 Replies · 166 Views

Joel Morgan

Like others, I have had to use my arms to help get up if going all the way to the floor with this movement.  I'm planning on getting a couple of mats to try at home.  (I used some firm pillows and i found it made it more difficult!)

However, I travel, so taking mats with me doesn't really work.  Are there other alternatives/adjustments I can make until I gain the strength/mobility to complete these as shown?

thanks for the help

Everett Carroll

Aside from elevating the padded surface and pulling yourself up through the bottom of the squat, we've found that a partner giving a light push on the back makes a huge difference. If you're mostly training alone, then spending time developing a deeper squat position is a good way to spend your time.

Joel Morgan

So things like gorilla, etc to deepen that squat and then, when I'm at home using a few mats to raise myself up.  Ok.  will continue to work patiently.  Thanks for the reply!

 

Everett Carroll

Exactly. Your welcome! Keep up the hard work, Joel.

Eva Pelegrin

Also, have you tried reaching forward with your arms, instead of relying on your hands to push of the floor? Maybe these tips can hep you:

1. As you roll forward to stand up, make sure your heels are tuck, close to your glutes (ball shape).
2. Just before your feet touch the floor, reach DECISIVELY with your arms straight pointing forward and up as far out as you can (like Superman). Reaching with your chest up is good too.

By shifting your focus (mechanics) of pressing with your hands on the floor to reaching for and imaginary rail or something you want to grab in front of you, you’ll change your com (center of mass) and the movement should feel easier. 

Michael Knight

Is holding a small weight in front of you ok to do? I had my girlfriend try some deck squats last night and couldn't do them, but with a 6kg kettlebell she managed to get a few reps in.

Jon Douglas
2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Is holding a small weight in front of you ok to do? I had my girlfriend try some deck squats last night and couldn't do them, but with a 6kg kettlebell she managed to get a few reps in.

OK to start with and to open it up, but you can see the problem here-- can't reach forward enough yet with the weight of the arms alone. I'm calling an ankle flex deficit here, which we will need to fix for SLS :) Negatives are good for this, otherwise the matt elevation as above often solves the problem quickly.

For getting reps in the weight is fine. However, I think deck squats are accessible by everyone, so I want to see them unweighted for mastery provided there's no pathology limiting the ROM of the ankles :)

Joel Morgan

Today, I used a cushion from my couch and a board (to make it less squishy) and was able to complete the sets/reps.  Thanks for all of the tips.  @EvaPelegrin, driving my hands/chest up/forward gave me a great focus point.