This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Very new to this

Started by Conal McCullough, July 13, 2016 · 6 Replies · 109 Views

Conal McCullough

Hi All, 

Age 39, unfit 6ft1 Male, 83Kgs with a couple of extra chins. After being a labourer and pretty sporty throughout my formative years, I had a big fall on my head in my late 20's which froze my neck up for a few months. Since then movement has been a bit limited and lower back pain kicks in pretty quickly when doing any repetitive bending tasks. I've been able to get my chin on both shoulders for years now and I pop and crack my spine daily. I've been a desk jocky and done no regular Gym work for about 10 years.

However, I have finally decided to take matters back into my own hands and stretch my way out of it.

I'm only on day 3...my lower back is achy after the first day and finding it hard to keep form in the simple stuff. The Rear Support gave me instant cramps in the foot arch and calfs when trying to keep my toes on the ground, they go away in about 10 seconds when not under load but make it near on impossible to keep form. 

Questions I'm asking myself:

Should I just keep going at my own pace and trust the program?

Should I do supplemental stretching, a couple of toe touches every hour or so when I get out of my chair?

Should I go see a Physio/Chiro before continuing?

Should I do light weight training along side the Fundamental movements?

Should I just concede I'm too broken to get back into proper shape and just diet and do a bit of lifting to make myself feel a wee touch better down the beach?

Am I asking too many questions?

All opinions appreciated :)

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Conal well after serious injuries a physio could tell you what are your limitations especially if injuries produced changes of posture and imbalances along the body. 

meanwhile be careful and approach the program gradually in function of your perceived effort and body response to training, do not force positions and if necessary scale them down so that they are comfortable.

Conal McCullough

Thanks for the quick reply and the sound advice. I've been to see a few Physios over the years and generally it's just been a program of light core exercises which hasn't really worked. I probably didn't give it long enough. 

The main question out of my long winded post is, Should I get my back fixed up first? or Is a bit of achy lower back perfectly normal for an un-stretchy guy like myself and just keep on going and take it easy?

 

Cheers,C

Alessandro Mainente

I highly recommend to fix pre existing problems and meanwhile work around them. If something is increasing the perceived pain then take it off from the routine for a while.

Wesley Tan

Hey Conal, 

I think what your feeling is very normal for someone such as yourself staring to exercise again. That being said you may well have a few issues with the back but ultimately, your future self and how fit you become or unfit you staybis in your hands.

Therapsits can help, i'm one myself, but my main focus is to get people moving. It really doesn't sound like you have an acute problem so I would say continue.

Work through fundamentals and if anything aggrevates your back simply back off from that particular drill.

You can make make dramatic changes but they will occur gradually over the next 18 months.

Keep youmind focused on that longer term goal.

Wesley

Conal McCullough

 

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

 

Conal

Mark Collins

It is early days so no need to stress. 

I would not add light weights as in one month you will be doing Foundation. With your level of stifness I recommend lots of general movement and minimal sitting. Variety of movement is key. If you are not sure of how to move look at what children do and copy them. Sit on the floor, walk lots, physical play, swim and absorb as much as you can from what you learn over the next several years and you will be a different man.