Manna training attempt

Started by Adrian Das, December 4, 2009 · 8 Replies · 2,868 Views

Adrian Das

Hello. First post and new to gymnastics training.

Could someone familiar with manna training give me some feed back on my manna progression middle split hold with a bit of hips forward pushing.

This was one of my first attempts to try and see where I might be. I realize it's not perfect but it came

relatively easy so I'm worried I'm doing it wrong.

I use a fingers forward position because it's more comfortable on the wrist which Coach Sommer said was ok in the manna topic. I lose the hips forward at the end and just try to hold a middle split.

Should I continue to work at this proression or back off to an easier one?

Thanks in advance.

JbtPHq_ytnA

Nick Van Bockxmeer

very good for first attempts, probably at a similar stage as me - the feeling that your hips are just starting to rise but the horizontal position seems monstrously far away.

Work on widening your straddle and try to keep your legs from drifting upwards (I know its tempting to lift them). This will help you to press the hips up, at the moment its looking more like a V sit with your legs separated. No reason to change progression, keep working middle split keeping the key pointers in mind (read coach's essay if any confusion).

Razz

Looking good, try to do a wider straddle with your legs. Ill leave other information to the more competent guys :)

Adrian Das

Thanks for the tips. I'll work on my active straddle.

I found this vid which gives a better angle and even a slo-mo for a manna.

At about 1:00

R5gzgcenzf4

It gave me a better visualization of the hip movement I'm looking for. It also seems that real gymnasts do not use the hands forward position so I'm going to try and work this with hands pointed back as well which I find much harder because it alters the position of my humerus at the shoulder joint and seems to inhibit the contraction I'm looking for. Weak link I'm sure.

And there has to be a reason they're all doing it fingers back.

Thanks again.

Seiji

This helped me too. Thanks nick, I didn't realized that's what should be done. I've always been lifting my legs.

Guest

I haven't even started manna training yet so I'm far from an expert, but I guess the hand position with fingers pointing backwards will help to prevent falling over backwards when the legs are pushed overhead into the full manna position.

Seiji

I doubt it would make much of a difference. I think it has something to do with stretching the deltoid to get into that position.

Guest

Maybe. I was thinking along the lines of the discussion on hand position in planche: fingers pointing backwards seems much harder in terms of balance as you can't correct with your fingers when overbalancing to the front. I assumed the same idea would apply to the manna, but I may very well be wrong ;)

braindx
biomieg said:
I haven't even started manna training yet so I'm far from an expert, but I guess the hand position with fingers pointing backwards will help to prevent falling over backwards when the legs are pushed overhead into the full manna position.

This is correct.

When I started training manna I couldn't push past vertical.

It took about a month of constant MSH with hands backwards to finally get the right motor patterns working correctly and strong enough. Then I made a leap forward in progress to about 10-20 past vertical easily.

If you want to do this skill you should do it hands backwards. It's already hard enough to do by itself without any leverage advantage... you need all the help you can get.