This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I am worried about hurting myself with these few exercises!

Started by Patriq Hansson, July 12, 2016 · 6 Replies · 248 Views

Patriq Hansson

Doing Foundation, Handstand, Movement and the three Stretch courses, and mostly everything is going well, but there are a few elements where I feel honestly worried that I might get injured if I push too hard. 
It would be most valuable to get some of your insights in this. 

1. HSPE1iM + HSPE2iM: Yes, I'll start off by admitting that I've moved on to PE2 even though I have not mastered the iM on PE1. Reason being that I feel that working on headstand instead of tripod will do me good, and so I alternate working on the two different iM:s each workout session. However, with both of them it feels very uncomfortable. I don't feel as much of a stretch in my muscles as I feel a very local, molding pain under my shoulder blades. I can't help but being a bit worried that my arms should pop or something.
Would you say that there could be any risks of pushing these two stretches too hard? Have you heard of anyone being injured by doing them? 
Or should I just keep pushing through the discomfort until I feel a proper stretch? 

2. SLSPE2iM: The twisting squats are absolutely terrifying, and I can't perform a single rep of them. I probably could if I really did try it, but the discomfort in my feet, ankels and knees are too great, so I feel I don't want to take the risk. 
Starting in the sitting down position, with legs crossed, I immediately feel pain inside my foot as I lean forward to begin standing up. It also feels like a LOT of pressure on the knees doing this element. 
Currently I solve this by sitting under a couple of rings, with which I can pull some (or a LOT) of my weight up using my arms, while I perform the iM. 
Do you think this is a good way to scale it? or do you have any other suggestions? and more importantly, do you think there's any risk doing this exercise?
I mean, putting 90 - 95 kg of fat and shame on top of those poor spider leg knees of mine, it really does feel like a bad idea. 

3. RCPE1: The hinge rows. I'm pretty strong when it comes to pulling exercises. and can perform the hinge rows fairly good. Problem comes when I push my head/chest in front of my hands in the top position. It feels like something might break or get overly stretched out in my shoulders, Maybe it's just the fact that I become much weaker when I reach that position, but it just does feel a bit risky. 

4. sPLPE1: The bottom portion of this first PE, when shoulder blades are supposed to pinch together. I kind of stop myself from pushing through, since it feels quite painful in the muscles around my shoulder blades. Like I'm about to put too much load on them. 
Would you say that there can be a risk on pushing hard in this exercise? In the top position everything is alright, and it's actually quite a comfortable stretch for my upper back. 

I realize now as I write this, that most of the worries I have seems to be centered around my shoulder blade area. 
Perhaps I am unusually tight there, and just need to loosen up a bit. I don't know, but any input are welcome. 
I would like to push myself harder in my workouts, since I feel that the things limiting me are pain in the joints, rather than muscle fatigue.

Coach Sommer

Hi Patriq,

It sounds as though you need to substantially reduce the intensity of your workouts.  

Please rewatch the techical issue videos paying special attention to how to appropriately scale the exercises and iMs as needed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If your shoulder blade areas are hurting you. Do not skimp on HS/PE1>im. Furthermore, look into Pro+ and some of the biceps stretches that are offered there. 

Julia Quigley

To follow-on to the sage advice above, I'd say that you're right to be scared of injury--but not because of the exercises. Your fear of injury is appropriate because you sensed that your approach to these exercises was unsafe! :) 

The exercises in Foundation are fantastic for prepping our bodies and preventing and even rehabbing some injuries (lots of great stories of that on the forum). 

But if you're doing them without proper form or your body isn't ready for that intensity/ROM and you push through the pain to do it anyway...that's a recipe for disaster. 

That's what you picked up on in your workouts and caused you to rightly ask for help! 

In addition to scaling back and viewing the course videos, I highly recommend posting some form checks for individual assistance.

best of luck! 

Petra Dvorak

These exercises might feel hard on your joints if you are pushing too much, mainly because they hit you in unexpected angles of motion. I see many beginners working with a very high tempo, so they can use momentum to hide their weaknesses.

Try slowing down by twice, which will give you time to watch your form and control your movements, no swinging or falling into end range of motion!

2 hours ago, Julia Quigley said:

I highly recommend posting some form checks for individual assistance.

Also build up slowly the ROM and repetitions on the iMs.

Stay healthy!

Jon Douglas

Second on the form checks. Shoulder positioning is important when initially engaging in these stretches especially when weighted.

There is a risk on pushing hard on any exercises without being prepared for the load and ROM, or executing them incorrectly. As you progress and your joints become stronger, you get more flexible and you reinforce good body mechanics, you'll get some more leeway; falls and bumps aren't so bad (and frankly I wish I'd videod some of the stuff I've gotten away with ^_^ ). But the time to push it is not at the beginning.

For the twisting squats; yes, that's a pretty reasonable way to begin. As it's hard to gauge the assistance you provide with the arms however, it is more productive to elevate the squat; perform it onto a chair seat at first. Then work lower over the course of several training sessions; no rush on this, knees are delicate and conditioning them should be done gradually. This method has got a lot of people their twisting squats.

For hinge rows, you may want to post a form check. You don't want to push your head and neck forward; you want to pull your arms and shoulders back, a subtle but important difference. As with the twisting squats, better to keep the load and reduce the ROM slightly if necessary to work up to it.

Same thing for scap shrugs. It's simply you are fine with protraction (shoulders spread forwards) and somewhat restricted with retraction (shoulders pinched together). Work to a comfortable maximum, and over time this range will increase.

I don't see anything in your post to overly stress about, you're just pushing somewhat tight joints a little too much and need to scale it down. I've certainly had this experience, albeit with different elements; I hope some of these suggestions help :)

Mark Collins

Take things slowly and do not worry too much about what you are feeling. You are waking up areas in your body that haven't been worked in a while, if ever. These exercises a safe as long as you listen to your body and not exercise with bad pain. If it is bad pain it will linger after you stop the exercise. I regularly prescribe these with my physio patients. In particular alot of my shoulder patients are given seated shoulder flexion.