This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bridging the gap between HS/PE1 and HS/PE2

Started by Niko Mailand, July 12, 2016 · 6 Replies · 202 Views

Niko Mailand

Hello,

I just started with the handstand courses. I passed the mastery test for HS/PE1 (the tripod) practically on my first try (5x60sec hold plus iM). However, HS/PE2 (headstand) looks easy in the instruction video, but it is impossible for me to lift my legs the way the video shows, not even an inch. The difference in level of difficulty between HS/PE1 and HS/PE2 is beyond any other two back-to-back progressions I have encountered in my F1 course. I feel that the HS/PE1 did not prepare me at all for HS/PE2.

Are there any transitional exercises that I can do that will help the transition between HS/PE1 and HS/PE2 and help me build up to HS/PE2?

Thank you.

Alessandro Mainente

You can try a intermediate version where you can lift the legs until parallel with bent knees and horizontal upper leg. then when you feel it comfortable lift one leg at time.

Beside the technical differences of the first 2 PE's, my impression is  that your first goal was pass the PE, did you reach the mastery of IM1?

Niko Mailand

Hi Alessandro,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did reach mastery of IM1, that was not a problem. I will try what you suggested, basically my body and leg position will look like I am sitting on a chair, but upside down, is that correct?

Jon Douglas
42 minutes ago, Niko Mailand said:

Hi Alessandro,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did reach mastery of IM1, that was not a problem. I will try what you suggested, basically my body and leg position will look like I am sitting on a chair, but upside down, is that correct?

That's right. Basically building hold time at any (consistent) spot between the two points, 90 degrees is good but as long as you have a straight line head to hips things will be fine. Ribs in! Feel free to post a form check if you are unsure; at least videoing yourself and checking it will make things objectively clear for you :)

Alessandro Mainente

As Jon stated It is recommended to post a form check of both PE and IM for precise evaluation.

Jochen Friedrich

Just keep on practicing - ii was amazed how fast i just managed to do it - keep it up!

Niko Mailand

Hi guys,

Thank you for your very helpful advice. I'm almost there to having straight legs up in the air now. The way I did it was to start out in the PE1 position (knees on elbows) and then slowly lean forward and lifting the legs in the air. I prefer this way over starting with my legs on the wall, because now my core really has to work to lift those legs up. Somehow I managed to do it, now I have to work on the amount of time that I can hold this position.

Thx, take care :)