This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Length of foundation

Started by Jakob Lykkestrup, July 12, 2016 · 35 Replies · 1,652 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

@Leo Trinidad,

If you're plateauing, say on one element, would you restart ALL of F1? Or just the one element that is problematic?

I liked your approach and am doing the same thing myself (though I wasn't as advanced as you when I fell off course. I'm finding much better activation this time with even earlier elements, so I see the logic and the benefit to your method of starting over). 

Leo Trinidad

i lost count on how many times i have restarted foundation one. i think i first restarted it when i reached PE6. i was also skipping progressions before. i skipped arch body hold when it was in PE1 of SL, Pseudo Planche Pushups and Bent Arm Chin Hang. i was reading the posts of the GB Athletes here and would listen to those who are more experienced. i also take down notes and check what the Coach will say. (it is true that skipping something will definitely hunt you and its not later! its sooner than you think. you'll throw away a lot of time)

im glad to hear that you are feeling much better activation. thumbs up to that.

i won't restart if i get stuck in only One Element. that'll waste my time in the other elements.:)

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks. That's much appreciated.

Jon Douglas

Nifty, right? Simple and elegant solution :)

Costas Karakatsanis
11 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

yes i revisit from the start and test week 11 right away(i work with all the progressions PE and im) *i do not skip*

if i pass, i move on to the next progression on my next training day :) 

Leo Hello,

Do you train each element twice per week (ie 2 day F7)?

 

Jakob Lykkestrup

Hey

Mark and Jesse thank you for your feedback. Im dropping the back extension and adding the single leg to my lower body day. I have some goals with weight training that I am not able to put a side at the moment, so that’s why I incorporate and not just go all out gymnastic. I am pretty sure that along the process I will skip my weight training, but it is a process I need to go through.


Leo, thanks for the long reply. Very interesting to hear that you don’t lose much strength. If I stall on F1, do you recommend to start over again or just restart that one element, or stay at the same element but start from a earlier week?

Coach Sommer
On July 18, 2016 at 11:53 PM, Jakob Lykkestrup said:

Hey Luke. I dont have any videos but i can try to film something the next couple of week, but its gonna be some weeks before i am at the dips :)

programming wise i was thinking to incorporate it with my strength training. I would have it as my second exercise, after my strength, because the first F exercise is more about endurance than strength. So something like:

Day 1: Upper body.
DB press og DB row
incline push-ups 5 x 15 (hollow back progression)
Hinge row 5 x 15 (rope climb)

Cuban press
Seated russian twist (side lever)

Day 2: lower body
Front squat
RDL

Legpress & calf raises
Leg curl

Back extension
Tuck-up (mana)

Day 3: Cardio & rest
HIIT or ss
scapula shrugs (Straddle plance)
Bent hollow body hold (front lever)

Day 4: off
Day 5: repeat

I would move the foundation elements up and down on the different days, depending on the type and how challenging they are. They are of course done in pair with the mobility :)

PS: This is an awesome forum. Its been a long time since i been on a forum where people actually responded and did so in a good manner!

Hi Jakob,

You are of course free to change your training to suit yourself.  The discussion here on the F1 private forum will however be restricted to F1.  Not on how to create a hybrid program.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Leo Trinidad
15 hours ago, Costas Karakatsanis said:

Leo Hello,

Do you train each element twice per week (ie 2 day F7)?

 

I tried all kinds of schedule.

I tried a 2 Day HS1 + F7

I tried MWF- FL, PL, HBP, RC || TTH- HS, SL, MN, SLS

I tried MWF- FL, PL, HBP, RC || TTHS- HS, SL MN, SLS

I tried MWF- HS, FL, HBP, RC || TTH- HS2, SL, MN, SLS

I tried HS, FL, HBP, RC in the morning and SL, MN, SLS in the afternoon

and the list goes on :) you will have to listen to your body to know what is best for you. that is why GymnasticBodies designed the programming that way. it is for you not to get any weaknesses. it is there because you need it. a lot of people i know will just choose his/her favorite element and will end up with full of imbalances. 

 

"at the end of the day it doesn't matter how many times you train because your body will only register it as 1" - Coach Sommer

Leo Trinidad
9 hours ago, Jakob Lykkestrup said:

Hey

 

Mark and Jesse thank you for your feedback. Im dropping the back extension and adding the single leg to my lower body day. I have some goals with weight training that I am not able to put a side at the moment, so that’s why I incorporate and not just go all out gymnastic. I am pretty sure that along the process I will skip my weight training, but it is a process I need to go through.

 


Leo, thanks for the long reply. Very interesting to hear that you don’t lose much strength. If I stall on F1, do you recommend to start over again or just restart that one element, or stay at the same element but start from a earlier week?

 

you wont lose strength in doing Foundations. you will only get stronger that is if you do it correctly. 

this is so simple,

step 1: test (week 11)

step 2: (if you fail either the PE or im) check wherein you should start; week 1, 5 or 9

step 3: (if you pass both PE and im) proceed to the next PE and test for the Mastery

step 4: rinse and repeat :)

 

"never assume mastery" - Coach Sommer

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Look, it's going to get you far more than that. Now it's 7 months since I don't do any GB course due to life circumstances but I'll tell you this: I sometimes do a set of any random exercise from F1 and it's there. I lost a lot of capacity and some mobility, I'm completely deconditioned but they all are still there, I mean form here. 

Now here's the best part: the benefits of over a year of foundation 1 and handstand 1 are still obvious after this quite a long break. There's no damn pain anywhere, strength is still here, mobility is still there, I can even do a strict rings muscle up, a feat never achieved before F1. Never went beyond PE4 except for SLS. 

I really love it that's why I will start it all over after this break and will do as long as I need to. Dips are no reward for that, it's only a short stop along the way.

Erik Rissanen

Jakob, like many already said, you are free to train what you want, but here is how I see it and what I would tell you.

First, ask yourself what your goals are. Foundation is made to build up strength, mobility and connective tissue to maximize athletic performance and to prepare the body for more advanced gymnastics training. If this is not what you want, you should look for something else, since you won't stay motivated because would be working toward the wrong goal. Be honest to yourself about your goals. For instance, if you just want to look good at the beach as quickly as possible, then this is not what Foundation was designed for, so you should look elsewhere for something more suitable.

Now, secondly, if you think you want to reach the goals of Foundation, to motivate you to stick with the program in the long run, ask yourself whether there is something else which is a better program than Foundation for these purposes? I don't think there is anything even close to being comparable available to the general public. But you really need to make up your own mind, or you will be doubting this and losing motivation. In particular, really ask yourself why you would think that you can design something better yourself than Coach, with his level of professional experience? Or do you think that Coach for some reason would not give us the best program he can provide? I think the answers are pretty clear, but you need to ask these questions for yourself and make up your mind so you can focus on the right thing.

Now, finally, if you still are with the program, then you need to do it at your best at each planned workout and the best possible results for you will come from this. Once you know that you are working on the right goal in the best possible manner, and you truly want the results, then the motivation will be there.

Another thing to help you with your frame of mind. Say that you want to be a surgeon. What would you do? Go to medical school and follow the training there? Or invent your own training program? Or complain about all those boring stuff you have to do at the university when what you really want to do is open heart surgery? You have to realize that the goals of the GB programs are of high level and will take a long time to achieve, similar to any major goal, such as a degree, you will have in your life.

Finally, you said in your initial post that you used to do F1 a couple of years ago. Now, today, think of where you would be if you had done it consistently since then, not having quit in between? That can also motivate you to stick to it every day. Coach likes to say that if you take care of today, then tomorrow follows.