This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 091204

Started by Coach Sommer, December 4, 2009 · 5 Replies · 953 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20091204.jpg

Perform:

10 min of HS Wall Runs

rest 5 min

3x6 Box Press HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Spend 10 minutes performing HS Wall runs. Time spent resting does not count toward the 10 minute total.

2) Strive to perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in as few sets as possible. My strongest athletes perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in a single set.

3) Rest as necessary, but strive to keep rest periods to an absolute minimum. Unless you are already extremely well conditioned gymnastically, this should be a very challenging workout.

4) Adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

SamSpaiser

For me just even doing wall hand stands stomach to wall of 12 sets of 30s on, 45s rest is very challenging. Do you suggest that I rest my legs at say, a 90 degree angle and then see if I can hold the 10minutes, and if I fail than I'll just rest a little and get back into it to complete the 10 minutes? Or, would it be better to train myself in the complete handstand and take a lot more rests? It seems like the goal of this workout is to remain in a handstand as long as possible.

xi xia

28:52 to complete 10 minutes, 15-20 sets, 318 total "steps" taken. As compared to 10/23, this time I made it harder by drawing a line 12" away from the wall. I had to keep at least the heel of the hand within 12" of the wall on every "step" of the run.

3 x 3 straddle wall presses, hands 14" away from wall, 25" apart in width. Haven't quite figured out the box version...

SamSpaiser

the box version is just starting with your feet elevated to make the press easier. I usually just do negative straddle presses, but 'I was so exhausted after my handstands I just collapsed and skipped it. I decided to do handstands with my feet elevated on a countertop so that way I could have my upper body in a complete straight line to help build up my shoulders and triceps, and it was great. I'm much weaker than the average guy doing these workouts...I think. I'm hoping to change that though.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

Sam don't try and force yourself to do something beyond you, scale back the workout accordingly. Do 5 minutes total wall handstands if that is what is appropriate for you.

SamSpaiser

I was able to consistently perform sets of 30s with resting my feet on the counter. So, I took a rest after each set until it added up to 10 minutes. I'm a little sore today, but not nearly as sore in my arms and shoulders as in my hams from the thursday workout. I don't want to cheat the workouts because I want to build the muscle, and I only stretch and juggle standing on a stability ball for balance and coordination on the weekends, so I generally recover very well. I appreciate the pointers.