This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

'Steps' progression

Started by Ken Rogan, July 11, 2016 · 5 Replies · 125 Views

Ken Rogan

Hi coach(es) / other members, 

I suspect I already know the answer, but if I am doing, say, FL PE1/Step 1 and I easily complete it, the answer is NOT to go to FL PE2/Step 1, is it? Rather I should go for PE1/Step 2, isn't that correct? Or in fact, I should test for mastery of FL PE1, and if I fail, regress back to the appropriate level, and if I pass, progress onto FL PE2? I just twigged this today when the reps for MN PE1/Step 5 jumped up to 9 per set. Also, because I could easily manage RC PE1/Step 1, I went onto RC PE2/Step 1 and I found this easy too and went onto RC3.  

So, I would appreciate it if someone would confirm that you must have mastery of an exercise, before moving onto PE/MN/RC 2 etc? Seems obvious now, but I was jumping up exercises. 

Also, as a rule, should you test for mastery at the start of every new exercise?

More generally, I'm making progress in FL, SL, HBP and RC, but my swivel hips for sPL PE1 is going to take months to resolve, with pointers from this forum, and WOD and mainly Dean Somerset's take on side planks. My MN is okay-ish, the windmills are tough enough, and my SLS is going to take time too, I can't squat fully down without tipping back, and I need momentum to get back up if I don't have a higher stack of mats behind me. This is tight achilles and calf, I deduce, from the instructional videos (and hey, who knows, one day I might be able to do a correct crab/ape). 

As with fundamentals though, my shoulders have continued to open up incredibly. 

Everett Carroll

Test mastery for each new movement that you progress to. However, you must master the previous element before beginning the next. For example, PE1 (week 11) must be completed before moving to PE2 for any element. 

Ken Rogan

Thanks Everett,

Ken

Jon Douglas

Note the little guide to the weeks;

Block 1: For if you are not remotely close to mastery

Block 2: If you can do some sets, but not at mastery

Block 3: If you need more endurance to achieve mastery

Test an element once when you first try it, and then jump onto the appropriate block to run the programming until mastery :) Don't forget to also test your mobility as part of mastery.

Ken Rogan

And by block one you mean the bolded step in the 'select step' drop down menu, yes? i.e step 1 starts block one, step 4 starts block two and step 7 starts block three? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jon Douglas
17 minutes ago, Ken Rogan said:

And by block one you mean the bolded step in the 'select step' drop down menu, yes? i.e step 1 starts block one, step 4 starts block two and step 7 starts block three? 

Thanks in advance. 

Yes, that's right :)