This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fitness tracking wearable

Started by Marcus Patterson, July 11, 2016 · 5 Replies · 80 Views

Marcus Patterson

I have been wondering if there is any kind of tech that is wearable that accurately mesaures calories burned, strength output, etc etc for our very specific training?

 

Everything I have seen is either running or weightlifting, but for example doing a hollow body hold requires no movement, and therefore how would this be measured? Even in a calorific way, as I doubt the heart rate raises much either.

 

Anyone been using anything?

I can link to some that I have seen if you want more info too.

Kevin Easton

I purchased a Body Media Fit for my wife and I after doing some research.

The reason why I picked the body media fit was the accuracy at the time.  The one thing I don't like about it is that you have to wear it on your upper left arm.  It's small, but I wish I could wear it somewhere other than my arm. 

Essentially I wore it for a couple weeks to determine my average baseline calories burned per day.  After a few weeks and varying amounts of exercise I got a good idea of what I would burn on average.  IMO I don't think you will ever get a product that is 100% accurate.

I was happy with the body media fit and appeared to be pretty consistent day to day.  It is also easy to wear for a variety of workouts.  For example, I had no problem wearing it to Jiu Jitsu.  It's small enough that it didn't get in the way and it was covered by my rash guard as well as my Gi.  On the flip side if I had something like a fitbit which goes on your wrist I wouldn't be able to wear it.  100% it would get broken or injure someone else.

 

Marcus Patterson
43 minutes ago, Kevin Easton said:

I purchased a Body Media Fit for my wife and I after doing some research.

The reason why I picked the body media fit was the accuracy at the time.  The one thing I don't like about it is that you have to wear it on your upper left arm.  It's small, but I wish I could wear it somewhere other than my arm. 

Essentially I wore it for a couple weeks to determine my average baseline calories burned per day.  After a few weeks and varying amounts of exercise I got a good idea of what I would burn on average.  IMO I don't think you will ever get a product that is 100% accurate.

I was happy with the body media fit and appeared to be pretty consistent day to day.  It is also easy to wear for a variety of workouts.  For example, I had no problem wearing it to Jiu Jitsu.  It's small enough that it didn't get in the way and it was covered by my rash guard as well as my Gi.  On the flip side if I had something like a fitbit which goes on your wrist I wouldn't be able to wear it.  100% it would get broken or injure someone else.

 

Thank for the info! Unfortunately I looked it up and discovered that it has been discontinued apparently!

https://jawbone.com/support/articles/000011476/BodyMedia-FIT

Mike Kelly

Wait a few years and you can buy some wearable clothing with monitors built in.  It available now but still has lots of room for improvement - imo