This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 091203

Started by Coach Sommer, December 3, 2009 · 7 Replies · 1,156 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20091203.jpg

Perform the following:

3x5 Tempo SLS

3x5 Tempo Natural Leg Curls

3x3 Tempo RLL

Finish the workout with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) Rest 3-5 minutes between sets.

2) Perform the SLS with a tempo of 10-0-X-1. This is read as a 10 second descent, no pause at the bottom, exploding up into the descent and a 1 second pause before beginning the next repetition.

3) If a full ROM SLS is beyond your current level of strength; restrict the ROM by substituting a Graduated SLS. However the same Tempo at prescribed should continue to be used.

4) Just barely use enough assistance from your arms to complete each full ROM rep of the Natural Leg Curls.

5) Use the same Tempo for the Natural Leg Curls and RLL as the SLS.

6) Choose a straddle L variation that allows no more than 10 seconds of work to be accomplished at a time.

SamSpaiser

I found the natural leg curls to be more beneficial cutting my ROM to what I was able to hold with my hamstrings and keeping proper form. In the past I would do full ROM using my finger tips and would be piking and bending my back all over and pulling with other muscles besides my hams and it was pretty messy. This time I stopped my descent where I was able to hold with my hams, and then pulled back up keeping my body totally straight and an isolated pull with my hams. It hit them really hard and I didn't have any soreness or pulled feeling in other muscle groups. I'll see if I feel a greater strength benefit when I do my next leg workout.

xi xia

Hello,

We've been scaling this movement like you have and its been working very well. We use a mushroom to stop our descent and then pull back from there with a straight body. It is much more intense. We also measure the distance from our knees to the edge of the mushroom, giving us an objective way to scale intensity and measure progress. 3 months ago I was at 18" and this week I did one at 23.5".

I have access to a stall bar at my gym and we have elastic bands. We can do GHRs using this setup, the band is assistance and allows us to go all the way to ground and pull back up on our own. This movement allows us to start training for the end ROM of the GHR.

xx

SamSpaiser said:
I found the natural leg curls to be more beneficial cutting my ROM to what I was able to hold with my hamstrings and keeping proper form. In the past I would do full ROM using my finger tips and would be piking and bending my back all over and pulling with other muscles besides my hams and it was pretty messy. This time I stopped my descent where I was able to hold with my hams, and then pulled back up keeping my body totally straight and an isolated pull with my hams. It hit them really hard and I didn't have any soreness or pulled feeling in other muscle groups. I'll see if I feel a greater strength benefit when I do my next leg workout.
Joshua Naterman

Now you're thinking with yer DIPSTICK!!!

Great ideas! I'm definitely using them. :)

Coach Sommer
xi xia said:
I have access to a stall bar at my gym and we have elastic bands. We can do GHRs using this setup, the band is assistance and allows us to go all the way to ground and pull back up on our own. This movement allows us to start training for the end ROM of the GHR.

Great idea!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Razz

I would like to see a video of a band setup if you make it work. I've tried but it just didnt work as i wanted it to

xi xia

Here you go. I like to be thorough so there might be some pretty obvious stuff in the video.

http://www.vimeo.com/7993407

Razz said:
I would like to see a video of a band setup if you make it work. I've tried but it just didnt work as i wanted it to
Razz

Sweet thanks alot!! :D the way you wrapped the band behind the neck is what i missed in my setup i think