This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCT) Oil

Started by William Trask, July 10, 2016 · 2 Replies · 173 Views

William Trask

@Jeff Serven

Wanted to pick your brain about Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCT) Oil.   

I wake at 5:20am do 1hr workout (stretch or foundation alternating days) and then eat 6:20 and leave for work at 6:30. It's the most consistent part of my day to ensure I get a workout in and I'm trying to follow Thrive to a tee.  My next meal is highly variable with work, usually between 11am and 1pm.

In the morning IF I do a Foundation workout (3-days a week), then post-workout I'm having a protein shake with 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) added to accomplish the Breakfast Fat & Protein goals of Thrive.

On the other days when I do stretch workouts (3-days a week), I have Organic Whole Milk Greek Yogurt and 2 scrambled eggs. I cook the eggs with coconut oil.

I'm curious your take on adding MCT oil in addition to the EVOO to the shake 1/2 tbsp of both. Just looking to fine tune a good balance and wanted to get your opinion.  Below is an example of MCT Oil for discussion (I've never bought this, only for consideration). I understand I'd get the MCTs from Coconut Oil I'm cooking with on 3 days per week. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Coach!

 

 

sr_mctoil_160311.pngmct_32oz_labelv2_right-01.png

Jeff Serven

Good question, 

MCT is great. As the name implies its a medium chain fat. The medium chain has the best chance at getting burned for energy where some very long chain fats (industrial seed oils) are pretty much guaranteed to get stored. 

As a source of nutrition MCT oil is great. But, I never mention it because it very commonly upsets peoples stomachs. Just a little bit too much can have you sitting on the toilet for the afternoon. 

The practicality of MCT extends only to meal replacement shakes - Something like whey, a banana, MCT and flax(or something to slow the absorption rate down) - very similar to what you are currently doing. 

Also it taste terrible - you may drink it for a while but eventually it will wear down on you. Avoid drinking it straight. 

David Eiche

I use a widely available MCT oil powder in lunchtime smoothies. I'm not far enough along in the program to know how you all feel about smoothies, but the point is that I put enough powder in to feel an energy boost. I don't get the GI distress from the powder that I do from some of the liquids. And in a smoothie, the taste dominated by fruit or kale or whatever.

What's not to like? :)