This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE6 Form Check

Started by Koenraad Van Leemput, July 10, 2016 · 7 Replies · 161 Views

Koenraad Van Leemput

Having a lot of trouble with the compression at the top in this element.  I feel like I need too much momentum to get to the top.

Any advice on what I should work on to improve this element ?

Thanks

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Koenraad,

Never hesitate to go back and retest yourself on the earlier MN progressions to help identify holes in your preparation.

Jon Douglas

Agreed, your kick is pretty energetic there! However, the focus of this element is the negative, so the concentric is not yet really the central point.
The issue here is not the getting up per se, it is the immediate quick drop from the top position; with that kick it looks almost as if you bounce your feet off the top before you catch yourself. No problem with bending your legs to get up for the negative, but you will need to create a pause at the top and control the descent throughout.

I'd give first look to your v-ups and your pike flexibility, especially the stall bar im's paired with the HLL variants :) Provided those are in line, it will be worth your time to develop at least a few seconds hold at the top, closed position-- simply by continually trying. Fold and close, get the thighs into your stomach. If your legs are still a little bent at this point, that's okay.

Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of compression. Cramp em out. If you think this is fun, wait till you try V-to-Ls :D

Koenraad Van Leemput

Thanks for the feedback - Yep holding that top position is exactly the problem :-)  

The passive flexibility is there - if I get someone to assist a bit my feet get to the bar fine - but actively compressing is really hard :-D.

I will work extra on the earlier progressions and pike flexibility and try to develop the hold in closed position at the top.  Fun times ahead!

 

Koenraad Van Leemput

I've been working diligently on improving this.  Been doing negatives, holds and stretches (including front split) but progress is slow.  Am I on the right track here?  Thanks for any extra tips from people who are struggling with this as well.

Cheers,
Koen

 

Bas Albinus

Read in another thread that locking your feet under the bar while letting your butt drop might help?! I don't know any tips rom personal experience, just looking into mnpe6 as I'm yet to start with this once I managed to master mnpe5 im. (Those vertical pike walks are probably a very good tool to get closer to HLL and the pike compression needed)

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, lock the feet under the bar and use it to lock the knees before the negative phase.

Kai Ewert

Nice progress!