This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deadlift and Jefferson Curls

Started by Sascha Fast, July 10, 2016 · 3 Replies · 212 Views

Sascha Fast

Hi folks,

do you see any correlation between your current deadlift? I am ok in the deadlift. The last time I maxed (over a year ago) I was in the low 500s and did BJJ and wrestling for a couple of years. My strength (deadlift) and my fascia (BJJ, wrestling) should be conditioned a bit. I started them with MN/PE2. My mobility is borderline within the requirements but my straddle-ups look like a fit. :) So, I will need a couple of weeks to adjust and de-uglify. I started with 5kg on a broomstick. I estimate to increase the weight a bit during the weeks to get to a more proper (if more is more proper) weight. 

So, I am asking for some experience and advice for my situation.

Alessandro Mainente

The weight should be increased very slowly simply because the movement is much complete and full of stress compared to deadlift. deadlift is meant to be done with the back held in a isometric position, in this way you are not training all the other range of motion and angles. for this reason you need be careful when exploring other angles...simply because you have never trained them, be careful.

Sascha Fast

Not with the deadlift of course. But during a my wrestling practice, I had to juggle some bigger guys around and this was mostly done in angles and more rounded back. 

Do you have an estimation of a good weight to increase to? I estimate that I can advance in increments of 2,5kg per week to 30-40kg, which feels like a small strain to me. I have to increase and feel but just want to ask if there are any numbers out of experience.

Alessandro Mainente

OK, yes you will find that your wrestling practice could improve and of course it could be more safe. 

At least build up to 50% bodyweight, at least means that Coach recommended full BW. 

What about the increments, if your back feels good hold the weight for a couple of weeks, then use your sensations in order to avoid overtraining.