This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progression towards APE

Started by Eric Martin, July 9, 2016 · 3 Replies · 134 Views

Eric Martin

I have been attempting to do anything close to the APE for the good duration of the week now and it seems that, unless I have a wall keeping me up or that I put my fists under my legs way past my equilibrium point I am absolutely unable to hold anything for more than half a micron of a second, falling on my back. The other options are: having a 70 degree inclination (with respect to a perpendicular line from the floor) with my upper body, rather than the 20-30 degree as shown in the videos. 

Question is: should I be aiming to progressively (with the assistance of the wall for instance) be able to get to do the APE or should I be expecting that the following blocks address the underlying issues to the point where I can hold a APE-looking posture to some degree and just keep following the plan laid out.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You could try bending over more from the hips versus dropping into a squat.

If you can't perform the APE movement in a full squat down without your ankles coming off the ground or your knees falling in then maybe try doing it from the point where you still have good form (ankles/feet flat and knees and hips in line/over the feet). That may mean that you're bending over at the waist or that you're in a quarter squat. Essentially as you continue to perform the move, your hips and ankles will open up and you'll drop lower and lower into the final preferred ROM.

Jon Douglas
7 hours ago, Eric Martin said:


Question is: should I be aiming to progressively (with the assistance of the wall for instance) be able to get to do the APE or should I be expecting that the following blocks address the underlying issues to the point where I can hold a APE-looking posture to some degree and just keep following the plan laid out.

We will be training and improving the components that you are struggling with here :) steady as she goes!

Daniel's got it right here (and generally, he's a thoughtful and reflective guy). Descend to the point that you can do everything else perfectly; as you gain mobility and co-ordination, you will find it easier and easier. As you warm/loosen up try going a little deeper now and then; it's good to test the waters.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
6 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

We will be training and improving the components that you are struggling with here :) steady as she goes!

Daniel's got it right here (and generally, he's a thoughtful and reflective guy). Descend to the point that you can do everything else perfectly; as you gain mobility and co-ordination, you will find it easier and easier. As you warm/loosen up try going a little deeper now and then; it's good to test the waters.

Thanks @Jon Douglas