This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN PE1 & im form check

Started by Johan Tideland, July 8, 2016 · 11 Replies · 209 Views

Johan Tideland

Hello, how is my form on this? I know that I have a horrible pike mobility, so I think I need to stay on this for a long time. I also do the Front split stretch 1/week but I have only been doing it for 1 month so far. I can definitely feel a good stretch in my hamstrings when doing the im.

PE https://youtu.be/ri32XDDR3Vw

im https://youtu.be/FrtwUoJ3Cok

Here is also a video showing my standing pike https://youtu.be/RcYu1kEGZYg

Thanks

Johan

Petra Dvorak

Hey Johan, i think you look strong in the execution of the PE, tempo, smothness and balance are very nice! But as you said, your range of motion needs to get better. You might try to

- increase the weight in the iM (i read somewhere to build up to around 10% of your bodyweight)

- do static holds of the compressed position

A forum coach might have more ideas to help.

Jon Douglas

The PE is ok; generally good but a bit too much arm swing bumps it down to 'ok' for me. Tone that down a bit an make it a single smooth motion :) Petra has nailed it on the static holds especially to get those knees to chest.

Not as far off on the windmills as  expected from your post :) slow it down and show that on both sides and you don't have too much further to go.

As Petra says, that weight looks maybe a little too light for you here. How heavy is that? Do ensure that the weight stays directly over you shoulders as you finish the movement too - it drops over the back a little on the last few reps, which is a fault you will not be able to get away with as the weight rises.

Pike is a workin progress, i see. Manna ims and front split series for you! :)

Johan Tideland

Thank you for the feedback Petra and Jon.

On the PE i have tried to slow down the arms. Is this better? https://youtu.be/5FbbqOZm5rU  I will work on the static hold, I will add it to my daily limbering and I am already doing the front split series once a week.

On the im I was using 2,2kg before, now I a using 4,2kg (on my dumbbell you can't increase with less than 2kg) and I have tried to slow it down. im from side https://youtu.be/ARx_J72tDWE and from front https://youtu.be/VDu2Ps6SWkw

 

I have to ask, to achieve mastery on this do I need to get my knees all the way to the chest? and do I need to get my bottom hand to the floor on the im? 10%bodyweight would be around 7-8kg form me (72kg), is mastery when I have achieved 10%bw?

All this above will take some time to work up to, of course I will do it but I just want to be clear when I have achieved mastery.

Again, thanks for the help

cheers

Alessandro Mainente

The Im is very good, now aim to improve the range of motion.

During the PE you should improve the coordination so that shoulders and feet touch the floor at the same time. try to compress as much as possible the upper body over the upper legs.

Johan Tideland

Hey again, I have a video update of my form. I know that my ROM is till lacking and I am working on it, I do a 30s hold of the top position every day.

What I want to know is if the movement is alright as it is now or if I need to improve something (other than the ROM).

Also should I stay with a low amount of repetitions (7 for example) until my ROM improves or can I work my way towards 15rx5?

https://youtu.be/JZMi3Yqtewg

thanks 

Johan Tideland

New update, still working on getting enough ROM, however I think it has improved a little.

https://youtu.be/HUBqY9S3Ujc

Any thoughts?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Johan,

It looks like you have been working hard. You have shown a lot of improvement. Keep up the good work!

Johan Tideland

Hi

How do these look now? do I still need more ROM? 

It certainly is a low progress to get compression for me.

https://youtu.be/bqo442Fzgro

Thanks

Johan 

Pauline Taube

Great progress, Johan! 

Your form is looking good and solid work with the compression :)