This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hamstring pull

Started by Marcus Patterson, July 8, 2016 · 14 Replies · 232 Views

Marcus Patterson

Whilst performing SLS PE2 and now PE3 I had a pull in my right hamstring (abductor?).

I am now not sure what I should be doing as I cannot perform either this exercise of the middle splits stretch series without pain.

 

I was wondering what suggestions you guys have as I don´t want to stop training legs , are there alternatives that I can carry on with? I have started using the TRX to do supported pistol squats which don´t give me any pain. 

What will be the quickest way to get back to no pain in the hamstring also?

 

thanks in advance!

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Stop with every exercises which causes pain. until pain is completely gon during the daily activities, then slowly come back to work.

Marcus Patterson
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Stop with every exercises which causes pain. until pain is completely gon during the daily activities, then slowly come back to work.

So stop SLS and middle splits completely? Is there anything I can do to speed up recovery?

Julia Quigley

To maintain leg strength, I'd do deck squats for maintenance for a week or two while your hamstring recovers (assuming deck squats aren't painful). 

But like coach says and Alessandro just posted-- better to take a week off if necessary than make a small problem worse that will take many weeks to recover.

Hopefully it wasn't somethings serious!

 

Marcus Patterson
Just now, Julia Quigley said:

I'd do deck squats for maintenance for a week or two while your hamstring recovers (assuming deck squats aren't painful). 

Hopefully it wasn't somethings serious!

It only seems to be when I do cossack squats and any similar stretching to that. Front splits series doesn´t hurt at all nor normal type squatting.

Alessandro Mainente

For hamstring rest for everything concerned with pain.period.

You can put something hot to improve blood flow and  eventually peform high reps deck squats is they not cause pain.

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Marcus, 

I understand that what Alessandro said is to stop doing any exercises that give you pain. It doesn't seem like it's interfering with your daily movements/activities, which is a good sign. 

From what you're describing, it could be one of your adductor muscles (inner thigh) or medial hamstring, so any movement/stretch in that direction (wide open legs) would be the stuff to avoid:)

If so far you've noticed that the Cossack Squat and Midle Split type of movements give you pain, those are the ones to avoid. Be extra careful with the FS and if nothing hurts, great, I think it's safe to say you can continue to do it.

Strains vary in healing time from weeks to months depending on their grade. Be very mindful and avoid risking or reinjuring the same spot as it would only prolong your come back. Best healing wishes!

Mark Collins

To speed up the recovery seek medical treatment. As Alessandro said, train pain free and rest usually works wonders. You still have plenty of upper body work you can do.

Jon Douglas

Medical first.

Failing that, anecdotally rest first-- till pain free in day to day. Then I have had good experience working up one by one through the F1-F2 SLS im's; not working to or through ANY pain, during or after. No progress to the next one until the previous one is done.

My last hamstring pull (circa 2012) put knots in my hamstring that required this kind of stimulation to get out, rest wasn't finishing the job; once negative NLCs were accessible without pain I was fine to sprint again.

Marcus Patterson

Thanks for all the replies. This seems to be an old injury that I first got from over stretching when doing Muay Thai years ago, and recently again when messing around trying to do cartwheels on the beach without warming up. 

It took quite a while for that to heal up properly as I did it last year and now it´s back again. Weak spot maybe? 

Alessandro Mainente

Old injuries usually heal completely but they can return if the tissue it is not strengthened again.

Eva Pelegrin
3 hours ago, Marcus Patterson said:

It took quite a while for that to heal up properly as I did it last year and now it´s back again. Weak spot maybe? 

Could be, like a “weak link” in a chain. When a muscle has been injured, you’d expect that the body would self-repair it with new muscle, but it doesn’t. Initially, the repair process lays down scar tissue rather randomly. Normally, scar tissue binds to the injury site in an effort to mend the damaged fibers back together and we can end up with a patchy mess. 

Unfortunately, untreated scar tissue, due to the haphazard alignment of its fibers can become a weak link in your muscle, leaving it more prone to re-injury in the future – sometimes months or years after you think that old injury has fully healed, ugh. À propos, I have a pain in my butt, which recently showed up, exactly in the same spot I injured in 2014. I don't even know when it happened or what action triggered it!:angry: Nothing as exotic and luxurious as cartwheels on the beach.

Anyone who’s experienced the feeling of breaking down scar tissue can attest to its tough, fibrous texture and density. When scar tissue forms around an injury site it’s not as “responsive” as the original tissue it replaces. It tends to pull and contract the surrounding tissues, and compromise their flexibility and strength. In effect creating a weak “hole,” which can later cause further damage or contribute to another chain reaction, which is why it’s important to seek professional help, if possible. 

Ideally, the scar tissue needs to become aligned and integrated with the surrounding muscle fibers. We want the collagen (mending tissue) to line up properly with the neighboring tissues, so that the injured muscle can regain its full strength and flexibility. This is where soft tissue work (by the hands of a skilled therapist) can help smooth out and align the area of scar tissue to “direct” the healing process; while a movement therapist can provide the dosage and degree of stimulation with movement, which also aids in avoiding atrophy (or shrinking) of the muscles. Make sure to drink plenty of water during your rehab. 

Grace Rockwell

I love Eva's explanation of how scar tissue works. To add on, it's extremely important to keep moving during the repair phase. Take the injured joint through as much pain-free ROM as you can to allow scar tissue to lay down correctly. In other words, by continuing to move through a comfortable ROM, you are "telling" the collagen fibers how to lay down at the injury site. Its much harder to do with an old injury because, as Eva stated above, you have to break down the old scar tissue and then build back correct strength and mobility of the injured muscle. But- it's totally doable! 

Marcus Patterson

Loving all the replies especially Eva´s thorough explanation. I guess it´s time, physio, gentle stretching and patience then. Something I am bad at lol!

William Trask

Marcus I feel your pain.

i have an old right hamstring related soccer injury and the first 5-weeks of Foundation have been awesome as I'm starting to get back good Mobility.

that is until tonight's softball game. A bit of sprinting lead to that common twinge in my hamstring! It's a shame as I was starting to make good progress!  

Now for the rest, ice, and a deload week I guess.