This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

About Favism and legumes on diet

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, July 7, 2016 · 1 Replies · 90 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi All!

I am affected by favism, so a deficiency of GPD6 enzyme.

With no doubt I know I have to avoid fava beans from my diet. I have never eaten them in my life and I don't want to know how I would feel. My mother's experience is enough. :D 

However I was wondering if I should avoid any other types of legumes. I used to eat peas, beans, lentils very often and I have never felt sick. My family physician was very unclear about that. I read somewhere that it's better to avoid them, somewhere else that they do not represent a risk. Even though I have never experimented some issues on eating them, may they cause some problems in long term, so better to avoid them??

Moreover, how should peas, beans and lentils be counted? In my country they are usually combinated with pasta, or as a side dish. Should I consider them as proteins, carbs or veggies? I have some doubts about it! Maybe they are not the best options for any of them.

Thanks to all!

 

  

 

 

Guido Franchetti

I can answer how they should be counted: somewhere else on the forum Jeff said to count them as carbs. And he said that they are far from optimal but nothing terrible: i.e. a few times a month for variety is not a problem, but do not make them a regular part of your diet.