Strict routine vs Varied routines

Started by Jonnyb21, December 2, 2009 · 3 Replies · 2,710 Views

Jonnyb21

Hi all,

I have been doing the rings now for a month my stability has improved dramtically and general all round strength, i can now do 5 HSPU against wall, i could'nt even hold myself in a handstand when i started a month ago :) Im still unable to complete a muscle up as i cant get the transition :(

All i wondered was i have stuck to a routine which involves 3 different workouts i.e monday-1st session, thursday-2nd session, and Sunday 3rd Session i always go for 2 days rest inbetween, i have repeated the cycle everyweek for a month now and was wondering if i should change the routine or continue, also do you believe its best to do what i have done or never complete the same session keeping it random everytime..............

Thanks in advance.

Neal Winkler

One thing I would change is do a mon/wed/fri or tues/thurs/sat, instead of having two days of rest inbetween.

A single month isn't long enough to of totally exhausted the benefits of your current routine, but changing movements/reps/sets every month is ok.

So, if you want to change some things now that it's been a month that's fine, and the fact that you've been doing 3 different workouts for a month now hasn't hurt you. If anything, having two days rest has shortchanaged you from missing a couple workouts.

As far as random workouts everytime, I would not recommend this for strength training, at least in the formative stages. You will progress faster with some regularity.

Jonnyb21

Thanks for your reply, i always train to failure aswell, would you recommend this or not?

Richard Duelley

I never train to failure. I do however workout 4-5 days a week with high intensity, but never to failure. If I worked to failure every time I worked out I would probably only be able to work out 2-3 days a week, which would be a lot less total work than I am doing by not training to failure.

So, I would not recommend training to failure. You should be challenged for 3 sets of 5 reps but you shouldnt burn yourself out every day. . . thats just asking for a overuse injury.