This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Adding weight to HS/PE5>iM (standing overgrip dislocate)

Started by William Marler, July 7, 2016 · 5 Replies · 111 Views

William Marler

I've finally mastered these at 7.5lbs + wooden dowel (shoulder width + 1 hand each side). I don't, however, have the dorsal grip variation mastered. 

I saw in Coach's original post on them that he prefers "... to perform this movement for one set of ten repetitions each using both a pullup grip and a dorsal grip at least twice a week." 

Should I wait until I have the mobility to do the dorsal grip variation to start adding weight to the pull-up grip variation (the HS/PE5>iM)?

When I start adding weight, is there a preferred program to follow? For example: progressing linearly (adding 1/4lb to the bar per week, every week) like a typical barbell program, or progressing in overload-load-underload periods of a static weight (jumping up from 7.5lbs to 12.5lbs, then staying constant at 12.5lbs until several weeks of 12.5lbs being "underload").

Or something else?

Thanks,

Alessandro Mainente

Nope, simply now that is mastered follow Coach's suggestion and insert it into your warm up.

Jon Douglas

Stay at a constant weight and work the width in until you are very comfortable with these :) heavy reps are cool but the focus is the flexibility. Heavier at 2x shoulder width is ego only compared to lighter at shoulder width.

I look at weight and width as two separate variables that must be correctly achieved. Can't progress one until they are both up to scratch. 

As for the grip just make sure both are progressing; for me the overgrip is pretty much limited only by strength, where the undergrip gives me much more of a stretch at the same weight. Having them at different weights isn't a problem, but it is more convenient to use the same weight for both :)

Alessandro Mainente

I also suggest to play with elbows position especially with the dorsal grip. You will find that externally rotate the upper arm so that the elbow faces the ceiling will create an impressive stretch on the pec minor, if you pec major was released with the prone version you should feel a strange sensation under the pec major.

Jon Douglas
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I also suggest to play with elbows position especially with the dorsal grip. You will find that externally rotate the upper arm so that the elbow faces the ceiling will create an impressive stretch on the pec minor, if you pec major was released with the prone version you should feel a strange sensation under the pec major.

Very much this, its has really improved my active and weighted extension :)

William Marler

Cool, thanks guys.