This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dinner Vegetables - do these options count as veggie?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, July 6, 2016 · 2 Replies · 146 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi guys! I was looking to find other options for cooked veggies on dinner. 

Currently my favourite options are asparagus, spinach, zucchini and green beans. These are the veggies I add the most on dinner, sometimes I had cooked tomatoes or carrots too. Are these all good options to eat them as lonely and/or mixed veggies portion ? Or some of these are good and other not the best ones?

In particular:

- I wanted to be sure if green beans could be counted as vegetable.

- The same question is about mushrooms: could I eat them alone and state that I had my portion of dinner veggie? I read that they are not a true vegetable, because they have no leaves, roots or seeds and don't need light to grow... 

 

Thank you!!

Alessandro

 

Julia Quigley

Yes, green beans and mushrooms and tomatoes count! :) You're doing great. 

Sure, mushrooms are a fungus, green beans are a type of bean, and tomatoes are a fruit, but Thrive is more interested in a food's function than its scientific designation. 

As to what's "best," the key is variety. Each item you mentioned has nutritional strengths compared to others, so mixing it up is great. Also, as Jeff says, we want to be sustainable by eating stuff that tastes good. We should eat the vegetables that appeal to us and not worry about what the absolutely ideal vegetable rotation is. 

 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
4 hours ago, Julia Quigley said:

Yes, green beans and mushrooms and tomatoes count! :) You're doing great. 

Sure, mushrooms are a fungus, green beans are a type of bean, and tomatoes are a fruit, but Thrive is more interested in a food's function than its scientific designation. 

As to what's "best," the key is variety. Each item you mentioned has nutritional strengths compared to others, so mixing it up is great. Also, as Jeff says, we want to be sustainable by eating stuff that tastes good. We should eat the vegetables that appeal to us and not worry about what the absolutely ideal vegetable rotation is. 

 

Great to know Julia! Now I'm sure I'm acting in the right way! Variety is exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks very much for your reply! :)