This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weighted Lunge logistics

Started by Christian Nogueira, July 6, 2016 · 18 Replies · 473 Views

Christian Nogueira

So last week I graduated from FLS/SE7, on to FLS/SE8. On the previous weighted lunges I was just holding dumbells and did the lunges next to a GHR bench where I could efficiently move from lunges to the weighted arch ups. As I progress through this, the dumbbell option get limited because I think the dumbbells on my gym only go to about 30kgs which will work for FLS/SE8 (with the added benefit of being a good grip workout as well) but not for FLS/SE9.

I was wondering how people manage this exercise at the FLS/SE8 and FLS/SE9 level, as eventually you probably have to use a loaded barbell, and in my gym the rack is a bit far away from the GHR bench, as doing these exercises in a circuit is would be a nuisance to other gym goers (I don't like being the one to shout from across the gym "I'm using that bro..." :) ).

Must also take a moment to praise this exercise as I've progressed through the first two weighted lunge progression I really do feel a lot more "spring" in my step (SLS work was more about mobility for me). It looks like a boring option but it's a really a nice choice.

 

Jon Douglas

I use a squat rack, and make my lunges a step back. No issues :)

There's a good thread on taking leg strength further with a fair bit of input from Coach; i believe its 'Weighted Lunge Vs SLS' in the F3 forum :)

I'm also a fan of the lunges; they do amazing things for glute activation and can change how a lot of lower body exercises feel as a result 

Alessandro Mainente

If you do not have the necessary weight you can consider the idea of doing all the reps in a row with one leg and then with the other.

Another variation that increases a lot the perceived effort is the front split lunge. simply you need to perform a lunge so that at the bottom your back leg is almost extended and your front knee is almost 90°, also try to move the upper body on your front quad. you will enjoy bad damn butt and hamstring doms the folowing days.

Christian Nogueira

Would a weighted vest + dumbells work for this ?

Oussama KHELLADI
1 hour ago, Christian Nogueira said:

Would a weighted vest + dumbells work for this ?

dumbbells are good unlike weighted vest if its too much you will feel them after some series pushing your traps down

Christopher Denzer

Hey everyone:

Dumb question on rep count. 10 reps means 10 reps each leg for the lunges, right? Not 5 each.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Christopher,

If there is an @ symbol after the number of sets and reps (ex. 5x10@) then you should do 10 reps on each leg. If there is no @ symbol (ex. 5x10) then each leg counts as a single rep, or 5 reps on each leg.

Andrey Kruglykhin
On 06/06/2017 at 10:55 PM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Christopher,

If there is an @ symbol after the number of sets and reps (ex. 5x10@) then you should do 10 reps on each leg. If there is no @ symbol (ex. 5x10) then each leg counts as a single rep, or 5 reps on each leg.

How do I do 5x5r from SLS SE8, for example, then? I have been doing alternating reps 5r each leg (i.e. 10 lunges total in a set): does it mean I have been doing double work???

Alessandro Mainente

Yes ;-)

Christian Nogueira

Just a quick update. I'm on the last leg of this one. Currently using 70kgs with two 35 kg dumbbells (so quite the grip workout) for lunges at 4x2 (the weaker leg still limits me in the second rep of the last sets). My plan is to get it solid then up the weight to my bw of 74kgs by using those weights you can put on your wrist to make up the weight. I also acquired some wrist straps as I don't want to grip to be the limiting factor when I work up to the 5x5 reps.

Slow going, but it's a nice feeling being at the last progression of something in Foundation.

I know you guys don't reveal anything about future releases, but is there something on the horizon for GST leg strength. I imagine after mastering this tree I could do some introductory plyometric work no (just legs though :) ) ?

Alessandro Mainente

Movement series will work also on rebounding and absorbing work for the legs.

Andrey Kruglykhin
On 22/08/2017 at 1:57 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Yes ;-)

Alessandro, please, explain how I do FLS SE8 5x3r? I am really lost on reps and sets for the lunges. Appreciated!!!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Andrey 3 reps each side for 5 sets.

Andrey Kruglykhin
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Andrey 3 reps each side for 5 sets.

Thanks!

 

Christopher Denzer

Hi Forum!

 

Anybody got a decent sub for weighted arch ups? Only one squat rack in the gym and I'm using it to do the weighted lunges. Got Plyo boxes but nothing to weigh my legs down. 

Douglas Wadle
17 minutes ago, Christopher Denzer said:

Anybody got a decent sub for weighted arch ups? Only one squat rack in the gym and I'm using it to do the weighted lunges. Got Plyo boxes but nothing to weigh my legs down. 

No back extension bench? or Glute Ham Raise Bench?

 

Christopher Denzer

Nope. I know, what gym is this? It's a climbing gym. One Squat rack, two plyo boxes, two weight benches. Shit ton of kettlebells and free weights. 

Douglas Wadle

I think you can never do too many natural leg curls.  Do those instead until you can do them in your sleep.  You will have rocks for hamstrings.  Deadlifting may be a sub for the back/core stability.  

Christian Nogueira

Finally doing full BW. The 35kg dumbells plus some ankle weights wrapped around my wrists. Working at 4x2r as this is hard on the weaker leg.

Would be fine to keep adding some weight to the arch up ? 20 kgs is starting to feel easy.