This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN PE 2 & iM

Started by Julia Quigley, July 5, 2016 · 14 Replies · 241 Views

Julia Quigley

Here's my first form check for MN PE2 & iM! 

For the PE, I obviously need to work on smoothing it out and consistency from rep to rep. Open to all feedback as I work it out :) 

For the iM, I'm only using 20lbs for now, until I've get confirmation on my form. Once form is locked in, I'll increase the weight. 

Thanks in advance! 

Petra Dvorak

Good work, Julia!   (MN for me is one of the harder elements, still stuck on PE1)

For the iM i would correct the position of your head/neck: you start nicely by rolling your spine from the head, when you are at the bottom your eyes look to the floor which gives your neck an extended position. A moderator here once wrote to treat the neck as the end of the spine and give it the same position, in this case a flexion.

Julia Quigley

Good catch! I'm a bit afraid of falling forward, which is why I'm spotting the floor. I'll put my big girl pants on and keep my neck in a better position next time. 

John Kiggundu

Julia,

There's something that I noticed you're executing extremely well but you might not even be aware of it. If you take a look at your ascent, you'll notice that your head does not try to stick out, or come out front of your shoulders, but remains within the same plane as your shoulders. In other words, your torso rises as one solid unit, and descends as one unit.

This might appear to be no biggie, but most people will tend to stick their neck out during their ascent, as they try to compensate for a lack of mobility. A slight variation of this tendency does also repeat itself during hinge rows.

Julia Quigley

Thanks!! You're right, I hadn't thought about that--and I'm glad something I wasn't thinking about was correct for once ;) usually things I'm not thinking about are the things I need to work on!

Igor De Britto

It's going in the right direction, that's for sure. In the iM, watch out for your knees. They are unlocking in the end of the downward motion, which can give you a bit more of depth, but isn't the right avenue to pursue. Contracting the quads all the way over should fix that little dent =)

Julia Quigley
1 hour ago, Igor De Britto said:

It's going in the right direction, that's for sure. In the iM, watch out for your knees. They are unlocking in the end of the downward motion, which can give you a bit more of depth, but isn't the right avenue to pursue. Contracting the quads all the way over should fix that little dent =)

Great catch! I'll be mindful of that next time.

Alessandro Mainente

NIce rom and tempo. Focus on using the head as a part of the spine. if you extend the spine then extend the neck, if your curl the spine then curl the neck.

Julia Quigley

Thanks, @Alessandro Mainente! I'll fix that for tomorrow's workout. 

Do I have enough compression in the PE? Want to know if there's anything besides consistency/smoothing it out I should work on tomorrow. 

Alessandro Mainente

Compression could be improved a bit, especially if you note that as the upper body moves in the final position you tend to lose a bit of compression, try to hold the best legs position you can reach.

Julia Quigley

Still need to work on consistency and work capacity in the PE, but compression looks better to me. Thoughts?

For the iM, I need to work on my set up. The weight plate felt like it was getting in my way, which is why I lost some segmentation on the roll down. Also,  I think I need a more stable base. Fear of falling over is messing with my head! Aside from losing segmentation on the way down, other thoughts? Ready to start increasing the load?

 

Julia Quigley

Here's an updatef PE. On deload this week, but I'm approaching mastery volume next week and want to check on my form. 

For the iM-should shoulders be retracted and engaged during the entire motion, or are we supposed to let them pull forward and shrug up? I took a break from them this week, because I think it might be too much for my injured shoulder. Sigh.

Julia Quigley

Bump! 

Alessandro Mainente

Are your feet completely together at the beginning of everyreps?

Doing the IM keep the weight on the legs as much as possible until you need to move it forward to pass under the feet.

Julia Quigley
2 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Are your feet completely together at the beginning of everyreps?

Doing the IM keep the weight on the legs as much as possible until you need to move it forward to pass under the feet.

 

Thanks! From the video, it looks like my feet are not touching. That's something I wasn't aware of! They must be just close to each other. I'll be sure they touch each time :)

I don't think I should do the iM until my shoulder is better. But I'll keep that in mind for when I return to it.