This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bodyweight Jefferson curls

Started by Eric Ling, July 5, 2016 · 12 Replies · 479 Views

Eric Ling

Hi, 

I've been reading and hearing quite a bit about bodyweight jefferson curls.

I'd like to know whether these are still a mobility exercise as per the Foundation 1 programming, or whether at higher weight these become a strength exercise. In other words, can these be done every day with gradually increased weight, or should we differentiate between the mobility variation (low weight) and strength variation (bodyweight)?

For the Foundation 1 mobility exercise, should we stick with a light weight, or increase the weight over time to get more of a stretch? If so, how much?

Thanks!

Eric

Cameron Williams

Hi Eric,

I would start very light (10-20lbs) and move up very slowly (2.5lb - 5lb increments). I've injured myself twice on this exercise trying to increase the weight too quickly, so I highly recommend being very conservative. A good rule-of-thumb is, don't move up in weight until the current weight feels effortless and there is no soreness the next day. Also, make sure to post a form check so you know that you are doing it correctly :)

Cam

Eric Ling

Hi, thanks for your reply. I do understand this is a gradual progression. My question is whether there comes a point where the weight increases to the extent that this is no longer a mobility exercise, so no longer suitable for daily work.

Grace Rockwell

Hi Eric,

Jefferson curls is still mobility, even if you're doing it with high weight. The weight isn't necessarily what makes it strength or mobility, but rather the flexibility of the spine and hamstrings under load. Just like with weighted shoulder dislocates- you definitely want to keep increasing weight, but it's still shoulder mobility.

Continue to work up to higher and higher weight to deeper the stretch in the hamstring and the strength of the spine. As Cam said above, go slow and don't move on until it feels easy. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing these every day, although I'm not sure if you meant that part literally or not :) You'll definitely want a few days in between, as deep muscle stretching such as this needs time to heal. 

Hope that helps.

Grace

Julian Aldag

Yup, take it slow. You might have to start off with just an unweighted broomstick if you are super tight. This exercise you dont want to rush adding weight. Better to add weight conservatively than aggressively.

Jeffrey Bailey

Do you guys think that being able to perform a standing pike is a pre-requisite for Jefferson curls?

I have poor hamstring flexibility that I'm working on with the front split series. I haven't reached JC in my progressions yet but it seems to me that if I don't have the hamstring/thorasic mobility for a pike then staying away from JC would be smart. Curious what the pros think!

Alessandro Mainente

This is no specifically a pre req, of course the more your pike is good the more range of motion is great. spinta i a lot curled during a good pike. more curl means more range of motion for your spine.

Lot of people reached a good pike with jefferson curl, simply begin with light weight and build up your rom, gradually.

Mark Collins

You can start JC before you have a standing pike. Some people are so tight they need the weight to pull them down. That is the effectiveness of JC, weighted mobility.

Kevin Herring

My pike improved after JC.  Actually couldn't reach far enough down to really call it a pike.  B-) 

Jon Douglas

I didn't notice any difference in my strength work having worked up to bodyweight for 10x reps in my warmup. I did notice a big increase in cold flexibility and control through *so many* movements, as well as feeling like my lower back could start it's own forum coaching career.

Kevin Herring

Just to add a bit more on my JC curls.  I started out with a pair of 16-kg kettlebells.  And when I reached a certain depth hands about knee height my back would rebel and protest.  Stubbornly I persisted thinking I'll adapt, making little progress and the pain in my back increased and felt unstable for days after. 

A few weeks later, reluctantly I reduced the weight to a 45-lb bar.  Better but still not progressing.  Still feeling unstable in the back.

Ate a big slice of humble pie, washed it down with a glass of Suck-It-Up and used the 15-lb bar feeling the movement.  And progress followed.  Not quickly but steady, noticeable improvements.  I stayed at 15-lb for a few months as long as I was improving.  I moved up 5-lbs when I did not notice any improvements.  I'm floating from 25 to 35 lbs depending on how the back feels.  I go between bar and kettlebell (12kg to 16kg).

Bodyweight JC is not my goal.  Great Jefferson Curls is my goal.  Healthy back is my goal.

 One day I may use bodyweight as the load.

Andrew Tan

Few questions about the J-curl:

  1. Does it matter if the legs are together or not? and why?
  2. Why should the feet be at the edge of the box?
Mikkel Ravn
3 hours ago, Andrew Tan said:

Few questions about the J-curl:

  1. Does it matter if the legs are together or not? and why?
  2. Why should the feet be at the edge of the box?

Strictly speaking, feet should probably be together to make it a Jefferson curl. These reappear later in the F series with a straddled stance under a different name. 

Feet should be at the edge of the box to minimise shearing force and moment arm on your lower back vertebrae.