This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hypermobile joints

Started by Sarah Waskey, July 5, 2016 · 6 Replies · 122 Views

Sarah Waskey

Hi,

I'm brand new to GST and want to start off on the right foot.  My joints are hypermobile, especially in my elbows, so it is very hard to lock my arms in a straight position, especially in positions like the crab. Should I focus on keeping my arms straight or just let them lock in the natural, hypermobile position (which is painful).  Are there strengthening exercises I can do to correct the hypermobility?  If this issue has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction to review.

Thanks and I'm super excited to start this program!!

Sarah

Alessandro Mainente

Remember that if my full extension is 180° on the elbow, your full extension is a bit more, so do not worry too much about that, it's fine.

Sarah Waskey

Great, thank you!

Oliver Adams
On 05/07/2016 at 6:21 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Remember that if my full extension is 180° on the elbow, your full extension is a bit more, so do not worry too much about that, it's fine.

Hi. I'm in a similar situation for Sarah. I'm not sure I understand: when you say do not worry too much, do you mean it's fine to do it either way, even if locked means some amount of discomfort, or that we should just go to 180 and no more? I'm assuming you mean the latter but I just want to be sure. Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

If full extension does not represent a pain situation then it is normal. full hyperextension with pain it is not normal and you need to consider a more expert opinion, maybe a physio.

Grace Rockwell

I would be interested to know more about this topic as well. It was my understanding that people with hyper-mobile joints, especially elbows, need to give extra attention to contracting the supporting muscles so as not to put that extra pressure on the joint. For example, if elbows tend to hyper-extend in a handstand, then you should actively engage the bicep so that the joint is supported. 

I could be wrong on this, so I would love to hear @coachsommer weigh in on this topic.

Alessandro Mainente

Ideally when the joint is at its maximum range of motion the passive structures (tendons, ligaments, fascia, capsule) tend to work harder then the active structures (tendons and muscles). this happens because at the end of a range of motion the muscle is found in a over stretched position that is not the position of the best work for a muscle. here the passive structures have a big role. The proper conditioning makes the end rom position more safe of course and also muscle strength. in some cases btw increase muscles strength it is not enough (like the elbows hyper extension). the strategy of taking off some rom with biceps activation could represent a solution where the tricep it is not activated, this because the cocontration is seen more like a dangerous situation and it is difficult perform it correctly. 

IN order to avoid passive structures problems the hyperestension should be not forced and of course pain-free.