This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Spreading the workout throughout the day

Started by Fabio Genesoni, July 4, 2016 · 6 Replies · 258 Views

Fabio Genesoni

Hi,

I'm doing foundation 4 times a week, split routine.

Is it possible to spread the workout throughout the day?

For example, for me logistically it would be better to do the daily limber routine + RC element + iM in the morning when I wake up, and the FL, sPL, and HBP elements + iM's in the afternoon after lunch.

Thanks

Christian Nogueira

It works. You do have to warmup each time and you might lose a bit in work capacity and endurance but it's fine.

When I have to travel I sometimes also split my workout in things that need to be done in the hotel gym in the evening vs things that can be done in the hotel room when I wake up. Sometimes it actually helps the change of pace, seems like the workouts aren't as hard mentally even though you are doing the same amount of work throughout the week.

Grace Rockwell

Fabio,

Just like anything else, you have to find what works best for you training-wise. If you find it's best with your body and schedule to do two-a-days like you described, I don't see anything wrong with that. The only thing you are losing is some endurance work by not doing everything in one session. But again, at the end of the day, you have to do what benefits YOU and helps you progress in your training. If it works, keep doing it.

Grace

Wayne Grima

I don't think that is right. I stand to be corrected but aren't you suppose to do FL, sPL, HBP and RC

in the same session, no rest between sets per element and minimal rest between elements and same

again for the next session which would be SL, MN and SLS. I would have moved on from RC/PE1 a

long time ago if we could do elements separately. I haven't got the work  load capacity at the moment.

I feel the reason I'm still on PE1 for RC is because by the time I've done the previous 3 elements my

tank is low on gas and muscles are fatigued. But as I said I could be wrong and stand to be corrected.

I look forward to hearing a definitive answer, regards Wayne

Grace Rockwell

Wayne,

Ideally yes you are correct. You do want to be able to do all the elements in one session to build muscle endurance as well as strength. If for whatever reason your schedule doesn't allow that much time, then it's better to split up the session than not do it at all. This might also be an option for people who are extremely beginner and have little work capacity when they first start training Foundations. But agin, the goal is to do your entire workout in one session. You'll gain more benefit over time by doing it this way as well.

I hope that clears up what I was trying to say in my last statement. You're right, we'd all be so much further if we could take nice long rests in between each element! ;) 

Fabio Genesoni

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Jon Douglas

Coach has provided example templates for a reason and commented on the role of volume  (daily, weekly, yearly) several times. The closer you can follow his programming, the more likely you are to have the same experience as his own athletes :)

Life happens and things can be all over the place, not many of us are full time athletes, so compromises are fine. But to my mind doing what the coach suggests is going to save me a careers-worth of trial and error trying to put together programming myself :)