This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Arch Ups Without A Partner?

Started by Jeremy Reeves, July 3, 2016 · 17 Replies · 835 Views

Jeremy Reeves

Hey guys,

I'm testing for mastery for the "arch up" today (SL PE4) and I'm trying to come up with a creative way of being able to perform this, since I don't have the equipment or a partner. 

Anybody ever figure out a creative solution for this that I can borrow?

I do have a weight bench that I'm thinking of putting in a decline position. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. That's about all I have so far ;)

Alessandro Mainente

A minimum of equipment is required...a stallbar with a table, a power rack with a bench. less then this it is difficult to manage.

Grace Rockwell

Hi Jeremy,

There are a couple things that I've tried that have worked for me. One is using a bar stool instead of a pommel, and then hooking my heels underneath a bookshelf that is about the height of my hips. I also did a similar thing with a laundry basket and a shoe shelf. I've also seen people use the arm of their couch and tuck their feet into the cushions, although this one doesn't work with every couch. As long as you can find something to tuck your feet under, you can get pretty creative with it. 

Here's a video of the bar stool/bookshelf example. 

Good luck!

Daniel Miles

I've been using two soft plyometric boxes and locking my feet into a handrailing. I'm not sure how it compares to a standard set up but its a killer on the posterior chain (especially hamstrings for me!)

Vytautas Pilkauskas

One more:

I go to the nearest park with parallel bars, wrap rings straps around both bars - one to support the feet, the other to lay on with my pelvis. 

Works like a charm.

Jeremy Reeves

Thanks for the various ideas! I have none of that, haha, but I'll figure something out ;)

Coach Sommer

Hi Jeremy,

My recommendation is to simply use the GB backstrap:  www.gymnasticbodies.com/gear.  This is exactly the type of work it was designed for.  The backstrap is also easy to use and can hook to either a stall bar or over the top of a door.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jeremy Reeves

Thanks everyone! 

So as a quick fix... I ended up INCLINING my bench and essentially laying my stomach on it (my feet went under the knee rests). Working fine for the normal arch-ups, but I'll need something better (probably the GB backstraps) for doing the next round where you turn to each side.

Everett Carroll

Sounds good Jeremy! The GB blackstrap is going to make a world of difference.

Logan Brown

Today was the first time I had Arch Ups in my workout.  I don't have the GB backstrap.  Planning on purchasing soon, but I came to the forum to find a suitable work around.  Since I have the GB rings, I decided to strap myself to the rings with a weightlifting belt.  Perhaps it isn't the same, but it seems like it will work until I have the budget for the backstrap.

Here's the video of it... 

Feel free to critique my form as it was my very first attempt.

Alessandro Mainente

nice idea, BUT feet must be higher at least to hips level, lower down the strap so that you can bend the upper body to 90°.

Greg White

 

 

Samin Ishtiaq
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 9:29 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

nice idea, BUT feet must be higher at least to hips level, lower down the strap so that you can bend the upper body to 90°.

The technique tip video for this has Claire's feet *lower*. Can you confirm where the feet need to be versus hips. Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Samin,

I also find it best to have my feet set to hip level. As long as there is a 90 degree bend at the waist, you can adjust your feet slightly differently. 

Alessandro Mainente

Exactly, the most important thing it is that the surface where you put the legs it is horizontal and not inclined.

Bradley OConnell

This is what I came up with. It is just nylon webbing that I ran through a tool belt and padded with pieces from an old foam yoga mat. I tried it with 1 inch webbing, but that was too uncomfortable, so I switched to 2 inch webbing. 

20170130_174725.jpg

20170130_174732.jpg

20170130_174649.jpg

Sam Jarvis

Coach mentioned in an earlier post that the Arch ups without a partner may be done with the back strap and door hangers.  Has anyone ever tried this set-up?  I was curious because I'm not sure what you hook your feet into.  I may just look into purchasing a hyper leg extension until I can save up for stall bars.

Everett Carroll

Hey Sam,

Your feet just push against the wall. They don't need to hook onto anything when using the backstrap.