This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic Mobility - is the target really the thoracic spine?

Started by Daniel Korman, July 2, 2016 · 3 Replies · 131 Views

Daniel Korman

The instructors in the videos demonstrating the bridge claim to be extending the thoracic spine, but all I see is (1) extreme extension (kinking) over very few vertebrae at the thoracolumbar junction (2) a completely flat thoracic spine (3) extreme flexion at the cervicothoracic junction. Is this the kind of T-spine mobility I should be aiming for? Moreover, because I tend to do a lot of chair sitting, I have an overly kyphotic cervicothoracic junction and an overly lordotic thoracolumbar junction with head forward - won't this just further mobilize me into these postural deformities?

Alessandro Mainente

The form you should aim is a total 90° bending of the spine. This mean that if we add the little bend of each spine unit we will reach an amount of bending equals to 90°. You will find that using a strong retraction and a strong depression it is easier to reach the desired posture. if correctly executed there should be no stress over the lumbar  spine.

see the photo below.

t-spina.png

Daniel Korman

Thank you for helping to clarify - it makes sense that a global arch would be protective, but still enable mobility. I'm still uncertain whether to expect true extension (versus just flattening) of the mid-thoracic spine. Regardless, I assume the smart thing to do is to continue to protect my lumbar and cervical spine while extending my thoracic spine, and accept whatever results I get.

Alessandro Mainente

Yes of course, in order to avoid bad executions due to mobility limitations you need to scale the movement. in this case elevate the feet on 20-30 block should be fine.