This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

question on the thorasic stretch seriess

Started by Ruth Sleeter, July 1, 2016 · 15 Replies · 861 Views

Ruth Sleeter

Hi there,

I just started the fundamentals and the stretch series classes.  The stretch series classes are *just* what I'm looking for. This 41 year old triathlete that started moving her body in her 30's for the first time has a list of mobility issues as long as the # of joints in her body.  Literally each one of these stretch series videos address significant issues I have leading to injury and inefficiencies.  So thank you!

Anyway, one question on the Thorasic Stretch series.  My thorasic spine is exceedingly tight, so I find the end elevated or even the wall bridges pretty challenging, and I tend to bend from my mid back.  Is the idea to continue working these stretches in very mild positions, even though I'm not even close to being able to do them well, or just skip them until the other stretches help enable me to some day actually move my thorasic spine?  

Thanks! Yours in steel.

-Ruth

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ruth, if you are unable to scale them as much as possible you can consider to skip them. But usually there is always a way to scale an exercise. for example elevated bridge you can move the feet over more higher poles, think that my brother was approximately in a handstand position during his first elevated bridge. now with time and patience he can adjust the position over the 3rd pole. I think you can spend some more sets on the other day doing the elevated cat and the swissball version. especially the second one is very useful for very tight people.

Ruth Sleeter

Thank you, this is very helpful!  I love the swiss ball stretch, but I think it is time to get out of my comfort zone and get my feet above my head (tough for a runner, biker, swimmer!) 

 

 

Jon Douglas

I find I am able to engage better t-mobility/shoulder flexion by focusing on pulling the ribs down in bridges; this may not be a beginner cue however. Apply with discretion to the elevated version

Ruth Sleeter

Could you elaborate on "down"?  "Down" = toward waist?  

 

Jon Douglas

Sort of-- i should say 'in' moreso than down.  If i let them 'flare' it seems to be easier to arch throughmy lower back; when I focus on pulling them down and in as in a handstand, it straightens my lower back somewhat and it opens through my thoracic spine and shoulders instead :)

Ruth Sleeter

Thanks, i have lots of other work to get to a bridge too...but this helps. Old dog. New tricks.  

Jay Wilson
On 7/1/2016 at 7:49 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Ruth, if you are unable to scale them as much as possible you can consider to skip them. But usually there is always a way to scale an exercise. for example elevated bridge you can move the feet over more higher poles, think that my brother was approximately in a handstand position during his first elevated bridge. now with time and patience he can adjust the position over the 3rd pole. I think you can spend some more sets on the other day doing the elevated cat and the swissball version. especially the second one is very useful for very tight people.

Hi Alessandro, thank you and thanks to the OP for this thread... I've been having major problems trying to get into any kind of a backbend. I'm currently about 6 weeks into the Thoracic stretch series, and I can scale the exercises until I get to the feet-elevated bend about 2/3 of the way through the workout. Everything after that just stretches my patience! 

I'll try elevating even more. Could you provide a bit more info, or maybe direct me to a video that shows proper form for a near-handstand stretch? 

Also, I think the issue stems from my lack of shoulder mobility - I can't even get my arms up to my ears when standing, let alone behind them. Any additional stretches I can do to focus just on my shoulder mobility?

Thanks,

J

Everett Carroll

Hi J,

The best way for us to help you find the correct position is through form checks. Elevate your feet a little more and send in a video for review. From there, we can help you adjust. My best advice for right now is to begin with your feet wide and high in order to remove the pressure off of your lower back. 

The Upper Body workout's mobility drills (part of the Foundation Series) also focus heavily on shoulder mobility. Training that course, along with performing this stretch series once per week, will really help you improve your mobility. 

Antonio Alías Montoya
9 hours ago, Jay Wilson said:

Hi Alessandro, thank you and thanks to the OP for this thread... I've been having major problems trying to get into any kind of a backbend. I'm currently about 6 weeks into the Thoracic stretch series, and I can scale the exercises until I get to the feet-elevated bend about 2/3 of the way through the workout. Everything after that just stretches my patience! 

I'll try elevating even more. Could you provide a bit more info, or maybe direct me to a video that shows proper form for a near-handstand stretch? 

Also, I think the issue stems from my lack of shoulder mobility - I can't even get my arms up to my ears when standing, let alone behind them. Any additional stretches I can do to focus just on my shoulder mobility?

Thanks,

J

I ve been one year working on TB and have been unable to do any kind of bridge doesnt matter how high I would place my feets. I ve just started very recently to do a little of bridge work. The way to proceed for very tight people is to do a handstand close to a wall or wallbars and place your feets on it. The further from the wall you do your handstand the more you back bend. When you start going further from the wall it becomes more dangerous and you might need help, specially to kick back from the bridge. My bridges are almost like a handstand, seriously. There s no way for me to push myself into a bridge from the ground yet so I find that s the best way to proceed until it gets better. Good luck!

Tom Durham

I really struggle with any sort of bridge also. I can get up into the top of my head with my feet raised on the couch, but don't have the strength to push up from there yet. 

So ive been doing a standing version instead, trying to concentrate on PPT and engaging glutes to avoid lumbar strain, while leaning back onto a wall and pressing from there. 

This feels almost a bit easy, but I figure that learning the position is important first.  It's certainly helped with bridge walks down the wall, although these are scary without stall bars!  

I also do F1 upper body x2 each week so am hoping the strength will come! 

Pauline Taube

Hi Tom,

Have you tried to kick up to a handstand against a wall/stall bar and walked your feet down? If you have enough strength to get into this position it’s a nice way of scaling the bridge, and easier to isolate the upper back. 

Feel free to shoot a video of your current level :) 

Tom Durham
18 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Tom,

Have you tried to kick up to a handstand against a wall/stall bar and walked your feet down? If you have enough strength to get into this position it’s a nice way of scaling the bridge, and easier to isolate the upper back. 

Feel free to shoot a video of your current level :) 

Thanks Pauline, I'll give that a try, I sense an uncontrolled collapse on the floor might be coming my way!

Pauline Taube

If you are able to perform a handstand against the wall you should be all right with this. Be careful and don't hurt yourself :)

 

Jay Wilson
On 10/11/2017 at 4:31 PM, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Tom,

Have you tried to kick up to a handstand against a wall/stall bar and walked your feet down? If you have enough strength to get into this position it’s a nice way of scaling the bridge, and easier to isolate the upper back. 

Feel free to shoot a video of your current level :) 

Thanks Pauline,

I'll have to try that. I'm trying to focus on getting my arms behind my ears, so elevated cat stretch, the bungee workouts, and the handstand (facing the wall) seem to focus on the right thing. I'll have to try your version, too, once I've got a bit more mobility.

Pauline Taube

Awesome, Jay! Feel free to share photos/videos of your progress with us :D