This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE1 IM

Started by Julia Quigley, June 30, 2016 · 13 Replies · 101 Views

Julia Quigley

When I started this course, I blew through HSPE1, but now they I've been around longer I understand more about the important of form, so I'd like sime some feedback on the mobility.

I realized there's a nuance about the shoulders I don't understand, and I'm not sure what is right. With overhead shoulder mobility, there's a limit to how far back I can go with my armpits facing forward (at least, that's how I think of it). To move further back, my arm pits go outward. I think of it as closed shoulders vs. open shoulders, but I don't know what it is really called or what causes the difference in the shoulders. 

To my eye, the model student's arm pits are outward, so I think this is correct. 

But I'd like to get confirmation and understand the shoulder mechanics behind it. 

Also, should I lean forward more? 

"Closed": 

"Open":

Thanks! 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You want about a 60 degree lean. You're sitting about upright. The arms should be shoulder-width apart, and for people with tight shoulders getting them fully overhead is really difficult (and painful on some days for me). So, essentially, you're going to pull your arms into as close to 180 degrees with your torso as you can while leaning forward. Mastery form requires this, but if it's too difficult to do, just keep pulling/shrugging up as much as you can while leaning your torso forward and it will come (but expect some serious upper back soreness the day after). Also, you want your head to be in line with your shoulders, if you look at the video your chin is dropping down and that's going to put more strain on your neck and trap muscles, which you don't want. Also, I can't tell too well from the side angle, but it seems like the first video is the way in which you want your shoulders to be positioned. This is midback/traps exercise not so much a shoulder exercise, so you should also add some weight to the bar (in that you want to feel it more in the traps than the shoulders--the reason being, as I've understood it, is that as the traps get stronger they actually pull your shoulders open versus one using the arms/ shoulders to force the joint open).

 

So, to be brief. Keep your arms closer to the first video, add some weight to the bar, lean forward, keep your ears in line with your shoulders, chin up, and pull/shrug back with your traps. The more forward you lean (and the more weight you add on) the more you'll feel it in your traps. Mastery is 5lbs on this exercise, so keep it easy and build up if 5lbs is initially difficult. 

Julia Quigley

Thanks, @Daniel Taylor-Shaut! So more like this? 

I'm transitioning from real gym to home gym, and my weights are in the mail :) but my bar weighs 3 lbs, so it's not like I'm doing nothing in the meantime! Figured since this is a form check and not mastery check, it would be ok.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah that actually looks pretty damned good. Keep at it and be sure to protract the scapula (spread them apart) and elevate (shrug them up to the ears) for the entireity of the 10 second hold. 

Julia Quigley

Sweet! Will do. I'll add the weight when it gets here and incorporate it into my routine :)

Julia Quigley

Also, it's really nice change of pace to have an exercise with elevation instead of depression!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Just be sure that you start the move by sitting upright and pull your arms (with locked out elbows) overhead and then begin to lean forward. I hadn't seen that you pressed the weight up. You want to pull it overhead from sitting, similarly to how the athlete does in the form video.

Alessandro Mainente

You are showing more then necessary.

usually people with tight shoulders show a tremendous difficulty on reaching the IM position as you did in the last video above. i'm pretty sure that you can show  ,and of course  you need, the execution of the course. 

sit on your butt, lift the bar overhead and lean while flexing the shoulders. be sure to achieve the 2 kg for the mastery with the correct grip.

Julia Quigley

Thanks, Alessandro! Will do :) 

if only the HS PE 2 IM were this easy for me!! Passive ROM is there, but it will be a while before I can pull a weighted bar up there.

Alessandro Mainente

I understand your point, this is because loose muscles does not mean strong antagonist.

Jon Douglas
1 minute ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I understand your point, this is because loose muscles does not mean strong antagonist.

Niiiiiiice.

Julia Quigley

True, true! one supplementary exercise I've been doing is to get into position on the stall bars, and then lift alternatinh arms off the stall bars while maintaining the narrow breadth. 

We'll see if that helps.

Jon Douglas
17 minutes ago, Julia Quigley said:

True, true! one supplementary exercise I've been doing is to get into position on the stall bars, and then lift alternatinh arms off the stall bars while maintaining the narrow breadth. 

We'll see if that helps.

That's a good idea; provided you maintain spinal position, pelvic tilt and ribs down :)

Julia Quigley

Right there with you! If I don't maintain all those, I'm just practicing the wrong movement!