This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1>iM

Started by Brandon Martin, June 30, 2016 · 20 Replies · 273 Views

Brandon Martin

I have been doing GB for awhile, but have not taken advantage of the amazing resource that y'all provide for form checks.  So I am going back through elements in both HS and F1-7 that I thought I had mastered but am now less sure of and posting form checks. 

https://youtu.be/pV6eUNIISQM

On HS/PE1>IM I have a feeling I am not getting enough flexion and that my ribs are too far out, but let me know. 

Brandon Martin

And I have failed at my first attempt at embedding the actual video.  Giving it another go.

https://youtu.be/pV6eUNIISQM

Well that failed too.

Brandon Martin

Trying one more time.

 

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pV6eUNIISQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And strike three.  Going to just stick with the hyperlink for now.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Brandon beside your fails on embedding the video ;-), you have some work to do with the first IM. both flexion and lean are required to achieve mastery. So no reason for you to move on the IM2.

Brandon Martin

Thanks Alessandro! I had a feeling I moved on from that one too soon.  motivation for more flexion work!

Brandon Martin

Still working on this.  Progress in gaining the necessary flexion is slow.  I am not terribly worried about gaining the necessary strength for the lean--I have little trouble building strength quickly, but I know that if I cannot get the proper amount of flexion, no amount trap strength will get me into this position.  I am hitting the im twice a week and doing the TB series weekly.  I know the answer is probably "just keep doing the work," but any thoughts on how to accelerate progress in gaining flexion would be appreciated.

Alessandro Mainente

There not other suggestions, basically the traps which are involve in IM1 fight constantly against lats and chest tightness. when Im will be easy the tension of the lats and chest is by far less then now. this tension is a neural factor that must be restored by years of imbalances. it takes a lot of time if necessary. work on release this tension it is a good way to make faster gains.

Brandon Martin

https://youtu.be/Ynupq3DIjWA

Thank you Alessandro.  I have made my grip wider and reduced the weight to 2.5 lbs  to get sufficient flexion and lean.  Would appreciate it if someone could let me know if I have the right amount of lean and flexion (see link).  If so, I can start here and then begin narrowing my grip slowly.

Brandon Martin

An update on my form is below.  I am at 5 pounds, hands are definitely a bit wider than shoulder width (I have a ways to go), but I have been feeling my chest opening up and learning to relax.  Anyway, please let me know whether I am at least doing these correctly. Thank you much.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Lean seems to be good, ribs in an please, next video from behind.

Brandon Martin

That was fast Alessandro, thank you!  I will work on keeping ribs in and get a video from behind in my next HS workout.

Brandon Martin

I am working on keeping ribs in, slowly working on moving hands closer, and a video from behind is below. Let me know what I can work on!

 

Brandon Martin

Bump.

Brandon Martin

Update on form.  Rear and side views.  Can I start increasing weight (at 5lbs now)? Or should I work on getting hands together?  Also, am I achieving the elusive goal of keeping "ribs in"?

 

Jon Douglas

Back's nice. Good job. You look like you can easily go narrower though :D Shoulder width for mastery!

To my eyes the ribs are a bit on the border there. They're not rising excessively and are mostly good, but it seems that you stop pulling them down so well with your breathing; I think you are losing the tension as you exhale? I don't regard this as a failure point here as your flexion seems fine without it, but I would like to see it locked in and the earlier the better.

 

Brandon Martin

Thanks for the feedback Jon!  Hands have been coming in slowly.  Will get to shoulder width eventually.  

You nailed it on the breathing.  I lose tension when I exhale--always have.  Same thing happens when rock climbing.  I have been learning how to breathe with the chest in little breaths for FL/PE 1.  Will try to apply that here.  Thanks again--the feedback is always helpful. 

Eva Pelegrin

Brandon, look up diaphragmatic rib cage breathing. Very easy to practice while laying on your back and very useful for many sports/activities. Once you got it down you can apply it to many exercises.

Basically you start by bracing your core primarily with your TVA (transversus abdominis). This is so you can inhale without allowing your belly to rise or fall. Instead with each inhale focus on expanding your ribs simultaneously to the right and left as your lungs expand (and later, more advanced: towards your back). Don't let your rib cage lift up. In short, rib cage breathing teaches you how to use your diaphragm to spread the ribs on inhalation and ease them back on exhalation, while keeping your belly relatively still. If performed correctly, it is calming and good for strengthening your diaphragm, whereas shallow upper-chest breathing can be tiring after a while as it can overuse muscles in the neck and upper body. If you're not familiar with this style of breathing, it's worth trying it!

 

Brandon Martin

Thank you Eva!  I will definitely check it out!

Brandon Martin

Continuing to work on these.  And they are coming along.  Getting closer to shoulder width.  But of course as I work hands in, I cannot get as much lean or flexion (its going to be another six months or longer before this actually feels easy).  Just checking to see whether I am still training this exercise properly or if I should widen my grip a little.  Also thanks to Eva for the diaphragmatic breathing.  Still figuring it out, but it is definitely going to be a useful tool for this and other GST elements.

 

IMG_1772.PNG

Alessandro Mainente

Form is good, maybe some more cm of lean and you can move on.

Brandon Martin

Awesome!  Thank you.  The hard (and consistent) work is paying off.  Deload is next week.   Will work another 3 week cycle before moving on.