This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist Exercise order/sequence

Started by Luke Budden, June 30, 2016 · 10 Replies · 310 Views

Luke Budden

Hi, 

It says that on each day that I perform the handstand training I should run through the wrist stretches and the 4 wrist exercises - wrist, first knuckle and fingertip pushups and wrist rocks. Unlike all the other exercises, there is no coupled mobility. What the recommended way to work through these? 

Should I start with the wrist push ups and (assuming mastery) work through 5 sets, resting for 30-60s between sets? Or should I cycle through the 4 exercises i.e. perform a set of wrist push ups, a set of first knuckle pushups, a set of wrist rocks and then a set of fingertip pushups and repeat 4 times with little or no rest in between?

Or is there another better way or doing things? Or have i misunderstood or misread the instructions?!

Thank you for your help.

Luke 

Mark Schoenhard

Do the wrist stretches and then do your second suggestion of cycling through the four exercises and then taking 20-30 second rest.  I do some shoulder mobility during the rest to prep for handstand work.

Alessandro Mainente

If you are at the beginning of the GST I suggest to do all the sets of the exercise so that you can reach confidence with form, when you have a bit of experience more you can evaluate to do them in a circuit.

Luke Budden

Appreciate the input guys - thank you. 

 

Daniel Cappetta
On 7/1/2016 at 5:06 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

If you are at the beginning of the GST I suggest to do all the sets of the exercise so that you can reach confidence with form, when you have a bit of experience more you can evaluate to do them in a circuit.

When testing mastery, what rest should we aim for? 
So if we are doing 5x5r of WP/PE2 what rest is sufficient,if any at all, between the sets before moving onto WP/PE3.
Cheers

Jon Douglas

For these sufficient rest to ensure good quality work. The wrist elements can be considered mobility, and while they can be stretched quite hard, it's best to ramp up to more intense strength work on them.

Not saying to sit down and take a nap between sets; personally I prefer giant sets with these so I'd just move through all 4, call that a set, then start from the top again, with minimal rest but not quite racing the clock either.

Leo Trinidad

i started the same way as @Jon Douglas too. i perform everything as a giant set. by doing so, i save up a lot of time and i don't cheat myself into going to a progression that my wrists aren't really ready for. :)

Daniel Cappetta

Cheers boys

Joshua Slocum
On September 4, 2016 at 3:39 AM, Jon Douglas said:

For these sufficient rest to ensure good quality work. The wrist elements can be considered mobility, and while they can be stretched quite hard, it's best to ramp up to more intense strength work on them.

Not saying to sit down and take a nap between sets; personally I prefer giant sets with these so I'd just move through all 4, call that a set, then start from the top again, with minimal rest but not quite racing the clock either.

Similarly, I generally do a giant set, followed by a short (10-30s) break if I feel I need it.

Mary Forman

The early wrist exercises seem to be mobility rather than strength and I am a little confused about nomenclature. Having spent some time in Foundation 1, iM is counted to each side. E.g., swivel hips (sPL/PE1>iM) is 10 reps but the count alternates between right leg then left so you do 5 on each side ultimately. Since the wrist video demos are not specific for the progression, it is unclear how we count the alternating wrist movements. I am working under the assumption that WP/PE1 which starts with 3x 1r would be R/L, L/R, R/L wrists so each count includes both wrists. Because it wouldn't make much sense to do 3x1r as R/L/R then stop...

I feel a little stupid that this question is too picky but I'll chalk it up to the late hour. Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

Stretches means exactly stretches and you perform always the same reps, no matter you level of them or your level of the following strength exercise for wrists.

you are right, 3x1 means 1 rep each side for 3 times.