What is considered full-fat for milk and kefir?
The most % I can find for kefir at my grocery store is 2%... should I be aiming for 3% or higher for both milk and kefir?
Thanks!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Cameron Williams, June 29, 2016 · 6 Replies · 146 Views
What is considered full-fat for milk and kefir?
The most % I can find for kefir at my grocery store is 2%... should I be aiming for 3% or higher for both milk and kefir?
Thanks!
Kefir seem to be 2-3% (I haven't seen higher), full fat milk I get is 5%.
4-5% is typically considered whole. When in doubt, read The nutrition label. It'll say whole milk or low fat milk in the ingredient list.
Thanks very much guys!
I'll definitely take a look at the label next time I'm buying groceries.
Piotr - do you get that milk at a regular grocery store or s specialty shop? I wonder if it's different in the UK... the highest I see at a regular grocery store here in Canada is 3.25%. But maybe I need to be shopping somewhere else!
Ahh, good question, "standard" as you say seem to be around 3%, but I can buy in the grocery (bigger shops) jersey milk (jersey cows, unfortunately not from Jersey island) and this variety has higher fat content (and I like the taste more), after a very quick google search I see that it could be possible to get jersey milk in Canada as well.
Thanks Piotr... I googled it as well and it looks like jersey milk is only available in Ontario, which is about a 5-hout flight from where I am ![]()
Unfortunately our dairy market is protected here in Canada, so Canadian dairy farmers don't have much of an incentive to offer a wide range of good quality products.
I have found some producers that make "whole milk" here in BC, but nothing that's 5%. I think 3-4% is the best I'll get.
Well, it is only 1-2% difference. If it is quality milk, just drink bit more :).